下载每日英语听力APP,解锁双语字幕及更多学习功能!
If you see the water do this, get out fast.
如果你看到这样的水流,一定要赶快回到岸上。
If you don't, you might get caught in a riptide.
如果不这样做的话,你可能就会被卷入激流中了。
What are the warning signs?
危险的信号是什么样的呢?
And which direction should you swim if you wanna survive?
如果想在这种情况下活下来的话,该朝哪个方向游呢?
This is WHAT IF and here is what will happen if you were caught in a riptide.
请收看本期“假如有如果”节目,接下来我会为各位介绍,如果遇到离岸流,都会发生什么事情。
Every year, beach lifeguards rescue tens of thousands of people.
海滩救生员每年都会从海里救出成千上万的人。
Four out of five times, it's from these rip currents, also called riptides.
这些事故五分之四是由离岸流,也称激流造成的。
But you can avoid them.
但你可以避免事故的发生。
Keep track of suspiciously calm areas between the waves, and watch for different colors in different spots.
仔细观察一下平静的海域上泛起的海浪,注意看不同位置的海面呈现的不同颜色。
This could indicate that a riptide is churning up sand, sediment and seaweed.
这种现象表明激流可能正在搅动着沙子、沉积物和海藻。
But wait, what are they?
等一下,那是什么呢?
Rip currents are strong, narrow channels of fast-moving water flowing directly away from the shore.
离岸流是一种强烈的、快速流动的窄道水流,会直接从海岸迅速游回大海。
If you get caught in one, you'll be pulled out into the lake or ocean, further and further from shore.
如果你被卷入其中,就会被拉到湖里或海里,并且会离岸边越来越远。
They could form anytime.
离岸流随时都可能发生。
When waves crash into the shoreline or a sandbar, it could concentrate the current.
当海浪冲击海岸线或沙洲时,它会将水流集中起来。
As the incoming water rushes back out to sea, it could create a powerful rip current.
当涌入的海水冲回大海时,就可能会形成强大的离岸流。
Your sunny day is about to turn into a living nightmare scenario that could kill you.
这样的话,原本晴朗开心的一天即将变成一场噩梦,会要了你的命。
One moment you're splashing about, enjoying the water.
上一秒你还在戏水,享受着海浪带来的乐趣。
The next, you're knocked off your feet.
下一秒,你整个人都会倒下去了。
And the water is dragging you away from the shore.
离岸流还会把你拖离海岸。
If you lose your balance, the current could pull you down along the bottom.
如果你失去平衡了,水流就会把你从水底拖下去。
This is rare.
这种情况比较罕见。
But if it happens, the best thing you could do is relax your body.
但如果真发生了,那时最好的办法就是让你的全身放松下来。
That will help you come back to the surface.
这将帮你重新回到水面。
Typically, rip currents move at speeds of up to 0.6 m/s (2 ft/s), but some have traveled at 2.5 m/s (8 ft/s).
通常来说,离岸流的移动速度高达0.6米/秒(2英尺/秒),但有时会达到2.5米/秒(8英尺/秒)的流速。
And unfortunately, you're caught in a quick one.
如果你不幸遇到了急速的离岸流。
Within seconds, you're 12 m (40 ft) away from the shore.
要不了几秒,你就离海岸12米(40英尺)远了。
And with each second, the current will pull you further away.
每过一秒,水流就会把你拉得更远一些。
Your first instinct would be to begin swimming back to shore, but that would waste your time and energy.
你的第一反应可能会是赶紧开始游,努力游回岸边,但那只会浪费你的时间和精力。
Even an Olympic swimmer would struggle to swim against a current this fast.
即使是奥林匹克游泳运动员也很难在这么快的水流中游起来。
If you aren't a strong swimmer and you keep fighting the current, you'll feel exhausted and risk drowning.
如果你不是强壮的游泳健将,而且还一直与离岸流做顽强抵抗的话,很快你就会感到精疲力竭,还会有沉下去的危险。
And it'll be hard to breathe.
另外你还会感觉呼吸困难。
The rip current would be pulling you under the surface.
离岸流会把你拖到水下。
And then, I'm sorry to say it, but it would be game over for you.
很遗憾地告诉你,接下来,你的小命就不保了。
But luckily, you're watching this video.
但幸运的是,你看到了这个视频。
So if you do get caught in this life-threatening situation, you'll know what to do.
所以,如果你真的遇到了这种危及生命的情况,你就知道该怎么做了。
The best thing would be to relax.
此时最重要的就是放松。
Don't fight against the powerful current.
不要试图与强劲的海浪做抵抗。
Instead, swim away from it on a 90-degree angle, parallel to the shoreline.
相反,按90度角的偏转角度游离它,与海岸线平行。
That wouldn't get you any closer to safety, would it?
这么做能恢复安全状态吗,真的可以吗?
Well,surprisingly, it would.
然而出人意料的是,反倒如此,才会让你获救。
Eventually, you'd swim to a place where the current weakens and stops pulling you outward.
最终,你会游到一个水流减弱的地方,那里不会再有水流拽你了。
Generally, riptides are only about 25 m (80 ft) in width.
一般来说,离岸流只有25米(80英尺)宽。
If you don't struggle directly against the water's flow, you likely won't have to swim too much to escape the current.
如果你不和海浪正面交锋的话,你可能不需要游太久就能逃离水流了。
Now, you're free from the powerful moving water, so you should be able to swim back to shore.
现在,你摆脱了强劲的离岸流,所以你应该能游回岸边。
Or you could try to regain your strength by floating on your back.
或者你可以试着仰面漂浮来恢复体力。
If you can do it, this would also be a good time to call or wave for help from a lifeguard.
如果可以的话,此时也是一个打电话或挥手向救生员求助的好时机。
Once back on shore, you'd feel pretty happy that you've cheated death.
一旦回到岸上,你就会很高兴,因为你已经躲过了死亡。
But the danger wouldn't be over just yet.
但危险远不止此。
Within 48 hours, you could have a condition called pulmonary edema.
48小时内,你可能会出现肺水肿的症状。
Yeah. While you were struggling in the rip current, you could have inhaled some water.
没错。当你在激流中挣扎时,你可能吸入了一些水。
It could have reached your lungs and irritated their inner linings.
它可能会进入你的肺部,刺激肺内膜。
Then fluids may begin building up, which could make it difficult to breathe.
然后,体液和海水可能会开始积聚,从而导致呼吸困难。
You might start coughing, feel sluggish and have chest pain.
你可能会开始咳嗽、感觉迟钝和胸痛。
Your body would be depriving itself of oxygen.
你的身体也会缺氧。
If you weren't able to get to a hospital soon, your lack of oxygen could lead to permanent brain damage.
如果不能及时就医的话,你的缺氧情况会导致永久性脑损伤。
Or worse, death.
甚至更糟,你可能会死。
But now that you know the best method to escape a riptide, you'll be less likely to struggle against the rip current.
不过,既然你已经知道了逃离离岸流的最佳方法,你不太可能还会在激流里挣扎了。
You might even spot the riptide before you go into the water.
你甚至可以在下水前就分辨出离岸流是否即将发生。
You know,the best tip could be to avoid the most dangerous beaches.
最好的建议是避开最危险的海域。
They include Mexico's Playa Zipolite, known as the Beach of the Dead.
其中包括墨西哥的齐波利特海滩,那被称为 "死亡海滩"。
And at Hawaii's Hanakapiai Beach, over 83 people have drowned in the powerful rip currents.
在夏威夷的哈纳卡皮海滩,有超过83人在强劲的离岸流里淹死了。
Also don't go doing something crazy like trying to surf in a tsunami.
也不要去做一些疯狂的事情,比如试图在海啸中冲浪。
That's a story for another WHAT IF.
关于这个问题,请收看另一期“假如这样”节目吧。
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!