第一章 初见 First Sight 3

第一章 初见 First Sight 3

00:00
03:12

"Well, Billy's done a lot of work on the engine — it's only a few years old, really."“嗯,比利在引擎上下了不少力气——才几年的车,真的。”

I hoped he didn't think so little of me as to believe I would give up that easily.我希望他不要这样小看我,认为我会轻易放弃。

"When did he buy it?"“他哪年买的?”

"He bought it in 1984, I think."“我想,他是在1984年买的。”

"Did he buy it new?"“他买的时候是辆新车吗?”

"Well, no. I think it was new in the early sixties — or late fifties at the earliest," he admitted sheepishly.“嗯,不,我想它是六十年代早期的车——最早也是五十年代的。”他爽快地承认了。

"Ch — Dad, I don't really know anything about cars. I wouldn't be able to fix it if anything went wrong, and I couldn't afford a mechanic…"“查——爸爸,我对汽车一无所知。如果它坏了我没办法自己去修理它,我也没有钱请个修理工……”

"Really, Bella, the thing runs great. They don't build them like that anymore."“真的,贝拉。这家伙跑得棒极了。他们再也没有生产过像这样的好车。”

The thing, I thought to myself… it had possibilities — as a nickname, at the very least.这家伙,我暗自思索着……这可能是——是个昵称,极有可能。

"How cheap is cheap?"“便宜到什么程度?”

After all, that was the part I couldn't compromise on.毕竟,这是我不能妥协的部分。

"Well, honey, I kind of already bought it for you. As a homecoming gift."“好了,宝贝,作为欢迎你回家的礼物,我几乎已经算是买下来了。”

Charlie peeked sideways at me with a hopeful expression.查理满怀希望地偷看着我。  

Wow. Free.哈,免费。

"You didn't need to do that, Dad. I was going to buy myself a car."“你不必这样做的,爸爸。我打算自己买辆车的。”

"I don't mind. I want you to be happy here."“我不介意。我只想让你在这里过得快乐。”

He was looking ahead at the road when he said this.他说这些时直视着前方的路面。

Charlie wasn't comfortable with expressing his emotions out loud.查理不擅长坦白地表达自己的感受。

I inherited that from him.在这方面我受他的遗传。

So I was looking straight ahead as I responded.于是作为回应我也直直地向前看着。

"That's really nice, Dad. Thanks. I really appreciate it."“真的太棒了,爸爸。谢谢。我真的很感激。”

No need to add that my being happy in Forks is an impossibility.不必补充我在福克斯感到快乐是个不可能事件。

He didn't need to suffer along with me.他本不必忍受与我相处的漫长时光。

And I never looked a free truck in the mouth — or engine.更何况,馈赠之马不看牙——或者引擎。

"Well, now, you're welcome," he mumbled, embarrassed by my thanks.“嗯,现在,欢迎回来。”他喃喃道,对我的感谢尴尬不已。

We exchanged a few more comments on the weather, which was wet, and that was pretty much it for Conversation.我们交换了一点对天气的看法,包括今天是否有些潮湿。

We stared out the windows in silence.在没有更多的话题可供讨论以后,我们都沉默地看着窗外。

It was beautiful, of course.当然,这里很美。

I couldn't deny that.我不能否认这一点。

Everything was green: the trees, their trunks covered with moss, their branches hanging with a canopy of it, the ground covered with ferns.一切都是绿色的:那些树,树干上长满了苔藓,枝干上挂着的绿叶宛如穹庐,地面覆盖着蕨科植物。

Even the air filtered down greenly through the leaves.就连空气都像被叶子过滤了一样弥漫着绿意。

It was too green — an alien planet.这里太绿了——对我来说像外星球一样。

Eventually we made it to Charlie's.最终我们抵达了查理的房子。

He still lived in the small, two-bedroom house that he'd bought with my mother in the early days of their marriage.他依然住在那栋小小的、只有两个卧室的房子里那是他和我母亲新婚燕尔时他买下来的房子

Those were the only kind of days their marriage had — the early ones.他们的婚姻也只持续了那些日子——较早的那些。

There, parked on the street in front of the house that never changed, was my new — well, new to me — truck.在那儿,停靠在房子前的街道上的,确凿无疑,是我的新——嗯,对我来说是新的——卡车。

It was a faded red color, with big, rounded fenders and a bulbous cab.它是辆褪色的红色卡车,有着巨大的圆形的挡泥板,还有一个灯泡状的驾驶室。

To my intense surprise, I loved it.让我十分吃惊的是,我喜欢这辆车。

I didn't know if it would run, but I could see myself in it.我不知道它还能不能动,但我从它身上看到了我自己。

Plus, it was one of those solid iron affairs that never gets damaged — the kind you see at the scene of an accident, paint unscratched, surrounded by the pieces of the foreign car it had destroyed.它是那种永远也撞不坏坚硬的铁家伙——就是那种你在事故现场看到的车,漆都没蹭掉半块,周围全是它毁坏的外国汽车的碎片。

"Wow, Dad, I love it! Thanks!"“哇,爸爸。我喜欢它!谢谢!”

Now my horrific day tomorrow would be just that much less dreadful.现在我恐怖的明天将不会那么吓人了。

I wouldn't be faced with the choice of either walking two miles in the rain to school or accepting a ride in the Chief's cruiser.我不必再面对是在雨中步行两英里去学校还是坐着警长开的巡逻车去学校的两难选择了。

"I'm glad you like it," Charlie said gruffly, embarrassed again.“我很高兴你喜欢它。”查理生硬说道气氛再次尴尬起来


以上内容来自专辑
用户评论

    还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!