第一章 初见 First Sight 6

第一章 初见 First Sight 6

00:00
03:32

Finding the school wasn't difficult, though I'd never been there before.找到学校并不困难,尽管我此前从未去过那里。

The school was, like most other things, just off the highway.这所学校,像其他大多数建筑一样,就建在高速公路旁。

It was not obvious that it was a school, only the sign, which declared it to be the Forks High School, made me stop.但作为一所学校它太不显眼了,除了那个标志,声明它就是福克斯中学,才让我停下车来。

It looked like a collection of matching houses, built with maroon-colored bricks.它看上去像是由一组一模一样的,用红砖砌成的楼房组成的。

There were so many trees and shrubs I couldn't see its size at first.这里有太多的大树和灌木,让我无法一眼看清它的校园大小。

Where was the feel of the institution?教育机构的感觉在哪里?

I wondered nostalgically.我怀着满腹乡愁思索着。

Where were the chain-link fences, the metal detectors?插着铁藜的高墙在哪里?金属探测器在哪里?

I parked in front of the first building, which had a small sign over the door reading front office.我把车停在了第一栋建筑物前面,这里的门上有个小小的牌子写着总务处。

No one else was parked there, so I was sure it was off limits.没有人把车停在这儿,所以我确定这里是不许停车的。

But I decided I would get directions inside instead of circling around in the rain like an idiot.但我决定不管它,径直走进去,而不是像个白痴一样在雨里兜圈子。

I stepped unwillingly out of the toasty truck cab and walked down a little stone path lined with dark hedges.我不情愿地离开暖和舒适的驾驶室,走过一段小石子砌成的、围着暗色树篱的小径。

I took a deep breath before opening the door.我深深吸了一口气,然后推开门。

Inside, it was brightly lit, and warmer than I'd hoped.屋子里比我希望的还要明亮和温暖。

The office was small, a little waiting area with padded folding chairs, orange-flecked commercial carpet, notices and awards cluttering the walls, a big clock ticking loudly.这间办公室很小,有一个摆着折叠椅的小小的等待区,地上铺着橘黄色斑点的商用地毯,布告和奖状混杂着贴满墙壁,墙上的钟滴答滴答,声音响亮。

Plants grew everywhere in large plastic pots, as if there wasn't enough greenery outside.养在大大的塑料容器里的绿色植物随处可见,就好像外头还不够绿一样。

The room was cut in half by a long counter, cluttered with wire baskets full of papers and brightly colored flyers taped to its front.这间屋子被一张长长的柜台切成两半,柜台上杂乱地摆了装满了文件的、前端绑着亮彩丝带的铁丝筐。

There were three desks behind the counter, one of which was manned by a large, red-haired woman wearing glasses.柜台后有三张办公桌,其中一张属于一位身躯庞大戴眼镜的红发女士。

She was wearing a purple t-shirt, which immediately made me feel overdressed.她只穿着一件粉色t恤衫,这立刻让我感到自己穿得太多了。

The red-haired woman looked up. "Can I help you?"那位红发女士抬头看过来:“有什么事吗?”

"I'm Isabella Swan," I informed her, and saw the immediate awareness light her eyes.“我是伊莎贝拉?史温。”我告诉她,却见她眼睛一亮。

I was expected, a topic of gossip no doubt.毫无疑问,我是期待已久的八卦头条。

Daughter of the Chief's flighty ex-wife, come home at last.警长轻浮的前妻的女儿终于回家了。

"Of course," she said.“当然。”她说。

She dug through a precariously stacked pile of documents on her desk till she found the ones she was looking for.她在桌上摇摇欲坠的文件堆里翻找着,直到找到她想要找的那些文件。

"I have your schedule right here, and a map of the school."“这是你的课程表,还有一张校园地图。”

She brought several sheets to the counter to show roe.她拿着几份表格到柜台给我看。

She went through my classes for me, highlighting the best route to each on the map, and gave me a slip to have each teacher sign, which I was to bring back at the end of the day.她和我一起讨论了我的课程,在地图上标出上课的最佳路线,然后给我一张纸条让各科老师在上面签名,一天结束以后我再把纸条带回来给她。

She smiled at me and hoped, like Charlie, that I would like it here in Forks.她对我微笑,像查理一样,希望我将会喜欢这里。

I smiled back as convincingly as I could.我也向她微笑,尽可能笑得更让人信服一些。

When I went back out to my truck, other students were starting to arrive.当我回到车上时,别的一些学生也陆续到校了。

I drove around the school, following the line of traffic.我开车穿过校园,紧跟着大部队。

I was glad to see that most of the cars were older like mine, nothing flashy.我很高兴看到大多数的车都像我的车老旧,一点儿也不浮华。

At home I'd lived in one of the few lower-income neighborhoods that were included in the Paradise Valley District.在凤凰城我住在少数几个由天堂谷区辖管的低收入区里。

It was a common thing to see a new Mercedes or Porsche in the student lot.但在学生堆里看到一辆奔驰或是保时捷是件寻常事。

The nicest car here was a shiny Volvo, and it stood out.而在这里,最好的车是一辆闪闪发光的沃尔沃,它显得格外突出。

Still, I cut the engine as soon as I was in a spot, so that the thunderous volume wouldn't draw attention to me.我在陷入窘境以前迅速地关掉了引擎,防止它雷鸣般的轰鸣给我招来太多关注。

I looked at the map in the truck, trying to memorize it now.我在车里看着地图,力求现在就记住它的内容。

Hopefully I wouldn't have to walk around with it stuck in front of my nose all day.我可不想一整天都把它展在鼻子底下走路。

I stuffed everything in my bag, slung the strap over my shoulder, and sucked in a huge breath.我把所有东西都塞进书包里,把书包带甩到肩后,然后深吸一口气。

I can do this, I lied to myself feebly.我能做到的,我对自己说着苍白无力的谎言。

No one was going to bite me.没有人正等着咬我一口。

I finally exhaled and stepped out of the truck.最终我呼了口气,走下车来。

I kept my face pulled back into my hood as I walked to the sidewalk, crowded with teenagers.我把脸隐藏在兜帽下,走向挤满了少男少女的人行道。

My plain black jacket didn't stand out, I noticed with relief.我式样简洁的黑夹克在人群里一点儿也不突出,这让我感到欣慰。


以上内容来自专辑
用户评论

    还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!