“Wake up old man,“ the boy said and put his hand on one of the old man’s knees.
“醒来吧,老大爷,”孩子说,一手搭上老人的膝盖。
The old man opened his eyes and for a moment he was coming back from a long way away. Then he smiled.
老人张开眼睛,他的神志一时仿佛正在从老远的地方回来。随后他微笑了。
“What have you got?“ he asked.
“你拿来了什么?”他问。
“Supper,“ said the boy. “We’re going to have supper.“
“晚饭,”孩子说。“我们就来吃吧。”
“I’m not very hungry.“
“我肚子不大饿。”
“Come on and eat. You can’t fish and not eat.“
“得了,吃吧。你不能只打鱼,不吃饭。”
“I have,“ the old man said getting up and taking the newspaper and folding it.
“我这样干过,”老人说着,站起身来,拿起报纸,把它折好。
Then he started to fold the blanket.
跟着他动手折叠毯子。
“Keep the blanket around you,“ the boy said. “You’ll not fish without eating while I’m alive.“
“把毯子披在身上吧,”孩子说。“只要我活着,你就决不会不吃饭就去打鱼。”
“Then live a long time and take care of yourself,“ the old man said. “What are we eating?“
“这么说,祝你长寿,多保重自己吧,”老人说。“我们吃什么?”
“Black beans and rice, fried bananas, and some stew.“
“黑豆饭、油炸香蕉,还有些纯菜。”
The boy had brought them in a two-decker metal container from the Terrace. The two sets of knives and forks and spoons were in his pocket with a paper napkin wrapped around each set.
孩子是把这些饭菜放在双层饭匣里从露台饭店拿来的。他口袋里有两副刀叉和汤匙,每一副都用纸餐巾包着。
“Who gave this to you?“
“这是谁给你的。”
“Martin. The owner.“
“马丁。那老板。”
“I must thank him.“
“我得去谢谢他。”
“I thanked him already,“ the boy said. “You don’t need to thank him.“
“我已经谢过啦,”孩子说。“你用不着去谢他了。”
“I’ll give him the belly meat of a big fish,“ the old man said. “Has he done this for us more than once?“
“我要给他一块大鱼肚子上的肉,”老人说。“他这样帮助我们不止一次了?”
“I think so.“
“我想是这样吧。”
“I must give him something more than the belly meat then. He is very thoughtful for us.“
“这样的话,我该在鱼肚子肉以外,再送他一些东西。他对我们真关心。”
“He sent two beers.“
“他还送了两瓶啤酒。”
以上内容来自专辑