“What do you have to eat?“ the boy asked.
“有什么吃的东西?”
“A pot of yellow rice with fish. Do you want some?“
“有锅鱼煮黄米饭。要吃点吗?”
“No. I will eat at home. Do you want me to make the fire?“
“不。我回家去吃。要我给你生火吗?”
“No. I will make it later on. Or I may eat the rice cold.“
“不用。过一会儿我自己来生。也许就吃冷饭算了。”
“May I take the cast net?“
“我把鱼网拿去好吗?”
“Of course.“
“当然好。”
There was no cast net and the boy remembered when they had sold it. But they went through this fiction every day. There was no pot of yellow rice and fish and the boy knew this too.
实在并没有鱼网,孩子还记得他们是什么时候把它卖掉的。然而他们每天要扯一套这种谎话。也没有什么鱼煮黄米饭,这一点孩子也知道。
“Eighty-five is a lucky number,“ the old man said. “How would you like to see me bring one in that dressed out over a thousand pounds?“
“八十五是个吉利的数目,”老人说。“你可想看到我逮住一条去掉了下脚有一千多磅重的鱼?”
“I’ll get the cast net and go for sardines. Will you sit in the sun in the doorway?“
“我拿鱼网捞沙丁鱼去。你坐在门口晒晒太阳可好?”
“Yes. I have yesterday’s paper and I will read the baseball.“
“好吧。我有张昨天的报纸,我来看看棒球消息。”
The boy did not know whether yesterday’s paper was fiction too. But the old man brought it out from under the bed.
孩子不知道昨天的报纸是不是也是乌有的。但是老人把它从床下取出来了。
“Perico gave it to me at the bodega,“ he explained.
“佩里科在杂货铺里给我的,”他解释说。
“I’ll be back when I have the sardines. I’ll keep yours and mine together on ice and we can share them in the morning. When I come back you can tell me about the baseball.“
“我弄到了沙丁鱼就回来。我要把你的鱼跟我的一起用冰镇着,明儿早上就可以分着用了。等我回来了,你告诉我棒球消息。”
“The Yankees cannot lose.“
“扬基队不会输。”
“But I fear the Indians of Cleveland.“
“可是我怕克利夫兰印第安人队会赢。”
“Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio.“
“相信扬基队吧,好孩子。别忘了那了不起的迪马吉奥。”
“I fear both the Tigers of Detroit and the Indians of Cleveland.“
“我担心底特律老虎队,也担心克利夫兰印第安人队。”
以上内容来自专辑