Being kind will get you far in life.
待人亲切能丰富你的生活。
When you can go beyond the ego, you are able to break free from self-absorbed habits that can damage your health.
当你能超越自我,你就能够从不健康的自私思考习惯中解放。
But swing on the other side to extremes and too much kindness can just be destructive.
但在两种极端情绪中摇摆不定,以及太过和善都是不好的。
Family and marriage therapist Darlene Lancer says that people-pleasing habits start from your childhood.
家庭及婚姻治疗师达琳·兰森说:"取悦他人的习惯是从小造成的。"
If you feel like you always have to accommodate to others, it may have stemmed from your parents, who withheld love from you, forced impossible expectations on you and practice unfair ways of disciplining you.
如果你觉得你常常要迎合他人,这可能是因为父母没有给予足够的关爱,对你有过高的期待,以及不合理的惩罚方式。
Does this sound like you?
这些听起来像你所经历过的吗?
Here are 5 Signs You Are A People Pleaser.
这里有五点可以看出你是不是爱讨好他人的人。
1. You agree with others because you're afraid of conflict.
第一点,你因为害怕争执而赞同别人。
Do you have different political beliefs from your friends, that you keep to yourself.
你的政治观点是否跟朋友不同,却只敢藏在心里。
Or go along with the family tradition, even though you hate it.
或是参加家庭活动,但其实讨厌得要命。
If you agree with others, just for the sake of making others feel happy.
如果你迎合别人只是要让其他人开心。
Consequently, you run the risk of making yourself feel uncomfortable.
到头来,你只可能让自己不开心。
You might end up losing friends when you state your honest opinions or get into domestic quarrels, but this can be beneficial in the long run.
最后你可能会因为说出真正的想法而失去朋友,或陷入家庭争吵,但最终你能从中受益。
You can find out who your true friends are, by showing your real self and taking an active part in decision making with your family.
通过展现真实的自我以及积极参与家庭决策,你能知道谁才是你真正的朋友。
Remember: being passive easily results in dissatisfaction, when your thoughts aren't being heard.
记住,当你的想法没有被听到时,消极的态度容易萌生不满的情绪。
But practicing self-expression helps you feel more self-assured about your values and ideals.
但练习自我表达,能帮助你在自我价值与理想形象上更添自信。
2. Saying 'No' is a challenge for you.
第二点,挑战说"不"。
Are you constantly busy because you're always taking on more than enough projects?
你是否因为接手太多企划案而时常处于忙碌状态?
Pause for a second and ask yourself: when was the last time you allowed yourself a good break?
暂停一下,并问问自己最后一次好好休息是什么时候?
It's great helping someone reach their goals and show people you are a reliable worker, friend and colleague.
帮人达成目标,让人知道你是个能够依赖的员工、朋友、以及同事是好事。
But your dreams, goals and health matter too.
但你的梦想、目标、健康也同样重要。
It doesn't make you a bad person if you want to cancel plans over the weekend or make time to get your own work done first.
如果你想取消整个周末的行程,或是先将自己的工作做完,这并不表示你是个坏人。
3. When you help others out, you feel more resentful than fulfilled.
第三点,当你帮助人,你感到气愤多于满足。
Research shows that practicing compassion can give you a sense of purpose and make you feel more connected to your community.
研究显示怜悯能够产生使命感,让你与社会产生更多连结。
But when you do it to a point where it burns you out, you might want to retreat for a bit and reflect on what's not working.
但当你因为不断怜悯他人而累坏的时候,你可能会小小退缩,并且思考是哪里不对。
Psychotherapist Sharon Martin advises you to pay attention to whether you are doing things out of true desire or because you feel obligated.
心理治疗师雪伦·马丁建议观察自己做事的动机是"自己想要",还是"自己必要"。
4. You're incredibly hard on yourself.
第四点,你对自己非常严格。
When parents are overbearing and have high demands for you, it puts you at a higher risk of being a people pleaser.
当家长严厉督促或对你抱持高度期许,这很有可能让你变得爱讨好他人。
Does this sound like you?
这听起来像你吗?
When you make mistakes, you don't cut yourself slack and strive for perfection, instead of progress.
当你犯错,你不会放过自己,并且力求达到完美,而非重视过程。
Psychologists Thomas Kern and Andrew Hill define perfectionism as "an irrational desire to achieve, along with being overly critical of one's self and others".
心理学家汤玛斯·库兰以及安德鲁·希尔将完美主义定义为"对于自身及他人过度苛刻,只为了达成目标的不合理渴望。"
When you don't embrace your failures, you will never learn resilience, an essential life skill to have.
当你不愿意拥抱挫败,你永远不会有韧性,无法拥有生活技巧的核心。
Focus on your strengths instead and practice mindfulness.
全神贯注在你的强项,并学习专注于当下。
5. You pretend like you're doing alright, when you're actually hurting on the inside.
第五点,内心受伤时,你假装一切都好。
When you experience all the previous points mentioned (over-extending yourself to others, being hard on yourself and agreeing with others just to avoid conflict), it makes it difficult for people to reach you when you aren't vulnerable enough to state your true feelings.
当你经历过前面提到的所有状况(过度延伸自己以融入他人,对自己过度要求只为了避免争执而迎合他人),当你没有勇气说出自己的真实感受,这让人很难了解你。
Bottling your emotions up, instead of openly talking about them, can prevent you from forming authentic connections.
将情绪装在瓶子里,而不是打开天窗说亮话会让你无法与他人产生真正的连结。
Is it really worth keeping everyone happy when this only sustains artificial relationships?
维持虚假的关系,只为了让大家快乐,这真的值得吗?
Remember this the next time you want to hide your disappointment.
记住,当你下次想要藏起失望之情
When was the last time you did something without feeling the pressure to please?
问问自己最后一次不用迎合他人来做事?
Want to learn how to stop negative thoughts?
是什么时候想要学习如何停止负面思想吗?
Check out our video here.
快来看看这里的影片。
Thanks for watching!
谢谢收看!
海量英语听力资源,高亮双语字幕,尽在每日英语听力~
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!