E26 大先生:把他们冻起来!
原文及翻译
Judy and Nick were led inside the house and into a lavishly decorated office. A large polar bear entered the room.
朱迪和尼克被领进了一间装修奢华的办公室里。一头身材魁梧的北极熊走了进来。
“Is that Mr. Big?” Judy whispered to Nick. “No,” he answered.
An even bigger polar bear lumbered in behind.
“那是大先生吗?”朱迪悄悄问尼克。“不是。”尼克回答道。
这时,一头身材更加魁梧的北极熊慢吞吞走了进来。
“What about him? Is that him?” Judy asked. “No,” said Nick, frustrated.
朱迪 问 :“这个呢?是他吗?”尼克沮丧地说道 :“也不是。”
An even bigger polar bear showed up, following the others. “Okay, that’s gotta be him,” Judy said.
不一会儿,一头比前两头身材还要魁梧的北极熊跟着出现了。朱迪说:“这回总该是了吧!”
“Stop talking, stop talking, stop talking—”
“别说话了,别说了,别说了——”
The largest polar bear held a teeny tiny chair in his giant paw. Sitting on the chair was a little Arctic shrew.
那头最魁梧的北极熊用他的大爪子护着一个小小的座椅, 座椅上坐着一只小北极鼩鼱。
“Mr. Big, sir, this is a simple misunder—” Nick started.
尼克说道 :“大先生,这只是个误——”
Judy stared at the tiny shrew in wide-eyed surprise. He was Mr. Big?
站在一旁的朱迪瞪着大眼睛看着那只北极鼩鼱,他就是大先生?
Mr. Big held out his tiny finger, and Nick kissed the ring wrapped around it.
大先生打断他,伸出他的小指,尼克见势立刻凑上前去吻了吻他手指上的戒指。
“This is a simple misunderstanding,” said Nick.
尼克接着说 :“这只是个小误会而已。”
Mr. Big motioned for Nick to be quiet.
大先生示意尼克不要说话。
“You come here unannounced...on the day my daughter is to be married?” Mr. Big’s raspy voice had an authoritative tone to it, but it also sounded like his body: very tiny.
他说 :“你们不请自来,而且还是在我女儿大婚的日子?”他的声音刺耳而权威,音量却和他的体形一样。
“Well, actually, we were brought here against our will, so...Point is, I did not know it was your car, and I certainly did not know about your daughter’s wedding,” Nick said, chuckling nervously.
“呃,其实不是我们自己想来的……问题是,我不知道那是您的车,更不知道您女儿今天结婚。”尼克讪讪地笑道。
“I trusted you, Nicky. I welcomed you into my home. We broke bread together. Gram-mama made you her cannoli.” Mr. Big frowned and scratched his chin as he looked at Nick with cold eyes.
大先生说 :“小尼克,我相信过你。我把你请进家门,我们共进晚餐,我奶奶给你做了奶油煎饼卷。”大先生冷眼盯着尼克,眉头紧锁,挠着下巴 :
“And how did you repay my generosity? With a rug...made from the butt of a skunk. A skunk-butt rug. You disrespected me. You disrespected my gram-mama, who I buried in that skunk-butt rug. I told you never to show your face here again, but here you are, snooping around with this...”
可是你拿什么报答了我的慷慨?用一条毯子……一条臭鼬屁股毛做的毯子!一条臭鼬屁股毛做的毯子!你侮辱了我!我拿这条毯子给我奶奶下葬时,你也侮辱了我奶奶!我警告过你不要再让我看到你,但是你竟然又鬼鬼祟祟地来了,和这个……”
Mr. Big gestured to Judy. “What are you, a performer? What’s with the costume?”
大先生转向朱迪,对她说 :“你又是谁?小丑吗?你穿的是什么啊?”
Judy tried to answer. “Sir, I am a co—”
朱迪答道 :“先生,我是警——”
“Mime!” Nick shouted, cutting her off. “She is a mime. This mime cannot speak. You can’t speak if you’re a mime.”
“哑剧演员!”尼克忽然大喊着打断她 :“她是个哑剧演员,不会说话,哑剧演员不会说话的。”
“No,” said Judy. “I am a cop.”
Mr. Big shifted in his tiny chair, agitated.
朱迪反驳道 :“才不是,我是警察!”
大先生在他的小椅子上紧张地移动了一下身子。
“And I’m on the Emmitt Otterton case. My evidence puts him in your car, so intimidate me all you want; I’m going to find out what you did to that otter if it’s the last thing I do.”
朱迪接着说 :“我在调查艾米·奥獭顿的案子。我的线索都指向了你的车子,你就尽管吓我吧,我会尽全力查清你到底对水獭先生做了什么!”
Mr. Big considered Judy and grunted. “Then I have only one request: say hello to Gram-mama. Ice ’em!” he shouted to the polar bears.
大先生打量了朱迪一番,嘟哝了一句 :“那我只想让你做一件事 :去向我奶奶问声好吧!”接着他向北极熊喊道 :“把他们冻起来!”
“Whoa! I didn’t see nothing! I’m not saying nothing!” Nick said, trying to squirm his way out of death by ice.
“啊,我什么都没看见!我什么都没说!”尼克边说边扭动着身子,想要躲开致命的冰块。
“And you never will,” said Mr. Big coolly.
大先生冷冷地答道 :“你永远都没机会了。”
The polar bears picked Judy and Nick up, ready to throw them down into a freezing pit of ice and water the bears had opened in front of Mr. Big’s desk.
北极熊打开大先生桌前一个装满冰和水的深坑,把朱迪和尼克举了起来,准备扔进去。
“Please!” Nick begged. “No, no, no! If you’re mad at me about the rug, I’ve got more rugs!”
尼克央求道 :“求你了!不要啊,不,不!如果你对那条毯子耿耿于怀,我还有很多别的毯子可以送你!”
重点单词
1.lumber v. 缓慢吃力地走
The elephants lumber by. 大象迈着缓慢的步子从旁边走过。
2.mime v. 哑剧表演
3.squirm v. (因为紧张或者不舒服)扭来扭去
重点词组/句型
1.lavishly decorated 装修得雍容华贵
The room is lavishly decorated, just like a palace. 这个房间装修得雍容华贵,跟一个宫殿一样。
2.in wide-eyed surprise. 非常以及极为惊讶。
I was in wide-eyed surprise when I heard the news. 我听到这个新闻的时候眼睛都瞪大了。
3.raspy voice沙哑的嗓音
He has a raspy voice. 他嗓音沙哑。
4.break bread 吃饭
5.all you want你尽管怎么样吧
Laugh all you want. 你就尽管笑吧。
Sleep all you want. 你就尽情睡吧。
6.be mad at someone 对某个人生气。
I am mad at you. 我生你的气。
He is mad at her. 他生她的气。
感觉也听了很久的课程了 很喜欢d老师的讲解,准备把这张专辑买下来跟着老师学英语!
感觉也听了很久的课程了 很喜欢d老师的讲解,准备把这张专辑买下来跟着老师学英语!
好听(ง •̀_•́)ง
最后的限免时间了!冲冲冲!
♀ ♀ ( · _ · )
vynthia 回复 @vynthia: ♥(。→v←。)♥
好听!!!
六
姐姐给韩国代购
✔️
👍