Surviving in adversity 逆境求生

Surviving in adversity 逆境求生

00:00
02:15

获取故事文稿 加Jerry老师微信 14743467978

In 1982 Steven Callahan was crossing the Atlantic alone in his sailboat when it struck something and sank.

1982年史蒂文·卡拉汉独自驾驶着帆船横渡大西洋,途中帆船遇难下沉。

 

He was floating in a life raft, alone.

他在救生艇里孤独地漂浮着。

 

When three fishermen found him seventy-six days later (the longest anyone has survived a shipwreck on a life raft alone), he was still alive.

但76天(世界上遭遇海难,在救生艇上存活的最长时间)后,三个渔民发现了他,他还活着。

 

His account of how he survived is fasting.

关于他大难不死的故事让人惊叹。

 

But the thing that caught my eye was how he managed to keep himself going when all hope seemed lost,

但我最感兴趣的还是在他感到彻底绝望的时候,

 

when there seemed no point in continuing the struggle,

当一切抗争都似乎已毫无意义的时候,

 

when he was suffering greatly,

当灾难苦苦折磨着他的时候,

 

when his life raft was punctured and after more than a week struggling with his weak body to fix it, it was still leaking air. Giving up would have seemed the only sane option.

救生艇穿了洞,他强撑着虚弱的躯体,花了一周多的时间去修理,可救生艇仍然漏气,放弃也完全在情理之中。

 

When people survive these kinds of circumstances, they do something with their minds that gives them the courage to keep going.

如果人们能够战胜这种情况,那么他们的脑海中一定有什么信念支撑着他们。

 

Many people in similarly desperate circumstances give in or go mad.

许多人在遭遇类似的绝境时会选择放弃或精神失常.

 

Something the survivors do with their thoughts helps them find the guts to carry on in spite of overwhelming odds.
但幸存下来的人,靠的是心中的信念,是信念给予了他们战胜一切恶劣情况的勇气和决心。

 

"I tell myself I can handle it," wrote Callahan in his narrative.

“我跟自己说我一定可以挺过去的,”卡拉汉在他的叙述中写到。

 

"Compared to what others have been through, I"m fortunate. I tell myself these things over and over, building up fortitude….
“跟别人的遭遇相比,我已经算是幸运的。我由始至终都这样鼓励自己,在自己心中建立起永不放弃的信念。”

 

I wrote that down after I read it. It struck me as something important.

读完这几句,我就把它们抄下了,并深深地为之震撼。

 

 

And I’ve told myself the same thing when my own goals seemed far off or when my problems seemed too overwhelming.

当我觉得自己的目标似乎遥不可及又或者我遇到了似乎无法解决的问题的时候。

 

And every time I’ve said it, I have always come back to my senses.

每每念及它们,我总能有所醒悟。

 

The truth is, our circumstances are only bad compared to something better. But others have been through much worse.

事实上,不幸都是相对而言的,有些人比我们更不幸。

 

I’ve read enough history to know you and I are lucky to be where we are, when we are, no matter how bad it seems to us compared to our fantasies.

不管现实和理想相距多远,纵观历史,我们应该为现在所处的时代和景况感到幸运。

 

It’s a sane thought and worth thinking.

这样的想法是明智的,而且也值得思考。

 

So whatever you’re going through, tell yourself you can handle it.

所以,无论你遭遇了什么,你都要对自己说:一定能挺过去的。

 

Compared to what others have been through, you’re fortunate.

和其他人的不幸相比,你已经算幸运了。

 

Tell this to yourself over and over, and it will help you get through the rough spots with a little more fortitude.
要一遍一遍地用此话鼓励自己,这个信念将会使你更有决心去度过难关。

以上内容来自专辑
用户评论
  • 自胜者强_c9

    语速再慢一点,就适合我的节奏了。

    Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @自胜者强_c9: 进度条右上角可以调整播放速度的

  • 听友189701481

    想请教一下这些朗读者是中国人还是外国人?

    Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @听友189701481: 有中国人 也有外国人 看哪一篇

  • 1877865lzbq

    第三句 he was still alive. 不过这样找错蛮激发我们听短文的兴趣的

    Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @1877865lzbq: 嗯 已经做了删减 谢谢你

  • 每天都要都要开心噢

    第二句为啥我只听到了He was floating in a life raft,alone.

    Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @每天都要都要开心噢: 嗯 已经修改了

  • 每天都要都要开心噢

    第一句系统没录完整 In 1982

    Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @每天都要都要开心噢: 嗯 是有这个感觉

  • 书卷笔乱hh

    Σ(|||▽||| )