Key Moments from Obama's Mandela Lecture
中英文演讲稿:
And a politics of fear and resentment and retrenchment began to appear, and that kind of politics is now on the move.
伴随着一种充满恐惧、怨恨和防卫心理的政治的出现,另一种现行的政治开始逐渐消失。
It's on the move at a pace that would have seemed unimaginable just a few years ago.
这套政治正在兴起。仅仅是在几年前,这样的进展都是难以想象的。
I am not being alarmist, I am simply stating the facts.
我不是杞人忧天,我只是在陈述事实。
Look around.
四下环顾。
Strongman politics are ascendant suddenly, whereby elections and some pretence of democracy are maintained – the form of it –
强人政治突然间大行其道,选举和民主徒有其表,掌权者伺机破坏赋予民主真正意义上的任何机制和规范。
In the West, you've got far-right parties that oftentimes are based not just on platforms of protectionism and closed borders,
在西方,你会发现极右派,通常时候并不仅仅只是大力呼吁保护主义和守旧主义,而且也躲藏在种族民族的后面,给予默默的支持。
The free press is under attack.�
自由言论遭到了攻击。
Censorship and state control of media is on the rise.
审查机构和政府对媒体的干预性也大大加强。
Social media – once seen as a mechanism to promote knowledge and understanding and solidarity –
社交媒体——曾被看作是一种促进知识,理解和团结机制——却也已被证实,仅仅只是起到了有效的促进敌意,偏执、宣传阴谋理论的作用。
In fact, it is in part because of the failures of governments and powerful elites.
事实上,造成这种情况的部分原因政府和有权势的精英的失败,没有坦诚这些国际秩序的缺点和矛盾,以至于我们看到世界许多地区可能回到更古老,更危险和更野蛮的做事方式。
But he believed, as I believe, that you can be proud of your heritage without denigrating those of a different heritage.
但是他(曼德拉)相信,正如我相信的,你们可以为自己的传统感到骄傲, 并不需要去诋毁另一种不同的传统。
In fact, you dishonor your heritage.
事实上,你玷污了自己的传统。
It would make me think that you're a little insecure about your heritage if you've got to put somebody else's heritage down.
这就让我想到,如果你曾经鄙视别人的传统,那么,现在你对于你自己的传统应该也是很担忧的。
Yeah, that's right.
是的,正是如此。
That these people who are so intent on putting people down and puffing themselves up that they're small-hearted,
这些人坚持把别人拉下水,一味吹捧他们自己,无疑是心胸狭隘的行为,而且,总会有一些事情令他们感到害怕。
We have to actually believe in an objective reality.
我们必须要去相信客观的事实。
This is another one of these things that I didn't think I had to lecture about.
这是另一件我认为我不需要去长篇大论的事情。
You have to believe in facts.
你必须去相信事实。
Without facts, there is no basis for cooperation.
没有事实也就没有合作的基础。
If I say this is a podium and you say this is an elephant, it's going to be hard for us to cooperate.
如果我说这就是一个小矮人,而你非要把它说成是大象,那么对于我们来说,合作就会变得相当困难。
I can't find common ground if somebody says climate change is just not happening, when almost all of the world's scientists tell us it is.
几乎全世界的科学家都说气候变化正在发生,而某人却说没有这回事,我无法找到共同点。
I don't know where to start talking to you about this.
所以我不知道该从哪里开始去阐述这件事。
If you start saying it's an elaborate hoax, I don't know what to – where do we start?
如果你们开始去说,这是一场精心设计的骗局的话,那我也就不知道该说什么,或者从哪开始说起了?
Unfortunately, too much of politics today seems to reject the very concept of objective truth.
不幸的是,今天的政治人物似乎否认客观真相这一概念本身。
People just make stuff up.
他们简直就是在编造。
They just make stuff up.
他们简直就是在编造。
We see it in the growth of state-sponsored propaganda; we see it in internet driven fabrications; we see the utter loss of shame among political leaders.
我们从国家支持的宣传的增长中看到了这一点;我们在互联网驱动的捏造中看到了这一点;我们看到政治领导人完全丧失了羞耻感。
Look, let me say . . .
看看,让我说……
Politicians have always lied, but it used to be if you caught them lying they'd be like, " Oh man."
政治家们总是在说谎,但是过去当你抓住他们说谎时,他们会说“哦,兄弟。”但是现在,他们只是一直在说谎。
They just . . .
他们只是…
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!