文稿内容,请关注微信公众号:Jerry的英语课堂 进行学习
One day, an old beggar went to the village.
一天,一个老乞丐来到一个的村子里。
He knocked at the door of a rich man to beg for food.
他敲上了一个富人家的门,想跟他讨点儿东西吃。
This was a big house and at the side was built a granary with a big padlock.
这是一座又高又大的房子,旁边有一个很大的谷仓,门上挂着一把大铁锁。
The owner of the house was a miser and he was known for never helping anyone.
这户人家的主人是个吝啬鬼,他从来不肯帮助别人。他的吝啬在方圆几百里内是出了名的。
The beggar was aware of his reputation but still pleaded, "Will you give me a bit of butter or milk?"
乞丐也知道他这种吝啬的狼藉名声,但还是乞求他:“您能不能给我一点黄油或牛奶?”
The miser said impatiently, "No! Go away at once!"
吝啬鬼不耐烦地说:“不行!快给我滚开!”
"Perhaps you can sweep out for me a bit of grain or beans," the hungry beggar continued.
“或许,您还能扫出一把麦子或黄豆呢?”饥饿的乞丐又说道 。
"There isn't anything in my house!"
“我家里什么也没有!”
"How about a little bit of bread?" the beggar insisted. "Only a mouthful of food and I will be very grateful."
“那就请您给我一小块面包吧,”乞丐坚持道,“哪怕是给我一口饭吃,我都会对您感激不尽的。”
"Go away! I don't have bread!"
“滚开!我没有面包!”
"How about some water? I am thirsty."
“那给我一口水喝,行吗,我太渴了!”
"I don't have water."
“我没有水!”
The beggar then said sadly to him, "My friend, why are you here? You should go to some kind-hearted folk to beg for food because you are poorer than anybody else."
然后,乞丐悲哀地对这个吝啬鬼说:“我的朋友,那你还呆在这里干什么?你应该去找一些善良的人们讨些饭吃吧,因为你比谁都要穷!”
The miser in this story is really wealthy in a material sense, but he is extremely poor in a moral sense.
故事中的吝啬鬼在物质方面确实是富有的,但在精神方面却是穷得可怜。
Rich people without compassion and conscience are not welcome in the society.
没有同情心和良知的富人在社会中是不会受到欢迎的。
They are likely to maintain temporary wealth but not everlasting wealth.
或许他们会赢得一时的财富,但这种财富最终昙花一现,不会长久。
So at the same time we feed our stomach, don't forget to feed our soul.
所以,在填饱肚子的同时,一定别忘了丰实我们的心灵。
good
ggyyù
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @陈栎安: ???
读得太好了
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @听友204177628: Thanks for your good comment.
太捧了
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @听友238796217: 多谢好评
😂💜💛💚💙
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @1999487lyte: Thanks
0.75倍速,跟读一遍
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @Ashandis:
读的好好啊啊啊啊
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @我宁愿在你方圆几里: 必须的
٩(⊙o⊙*)و好!很有精神 !
Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @软糖小熊Vichy: