小王子little prince第三章chapter 3

小王子little prince第三章chapter 3

00:00
04:46

Chapter 3

It took me a long time to learn where he came from.

我费了好长时间才弄清楚他是从哪里来的。

The little prince, who asked me so many questions, never seemed to hear the ones I asked him.

小王子向我提出了很多问题,可是,对我提出的问题,他好象压根没有听见似的。

It was from words dropped by chance that, little by little, everything was revealed to me.

他无意中吐露的一些话逐渐使我搞清了他的来历。

The first time he saw my airplane, for instance (I shall not draw my airplane; that would be much too complicated for me), he asked me: "What is that object?"

例如,当他第一次瞅见我的飞机时(我就不画出我的飞机了,因为这种图画对我来说太复杂),他问我道:“这是个啥玩艺?”

That is not an object. It flies.

这不是玩艺儿。它能飞。

It is an airplane. It is my airplane.

这是飞机。是我的飞机。

And I was proud to have him learn that I could fly.

我当时很骄傲地告诉他我能飞。

He cried out: "What! You dropped down from the sky?"

于是他惊奇地说道:“怎么?你是从天上掉下来的?”

"Yes," I answered, modestly.

“是的”。我谦逊地答道。

Oh! That is funny!

啊?这真滑稽。

And the little prince broke into a lovely peal of laughter, which irritated me very much.

此时小王子发出一阵清脆的笑声。这使我很不高兴。

I like my misfortunes to be taken seriously.

我要求别人严肃地对待我的不幸。

Then he added: "So you, too, come from the sky! Which is your planet?"

然后,他又说道:“那么,你也是从天上来的了!你是哪个星球上的?”

At that moment I caught a gleam of light in the impenetrable mystery of his presence;

即刻,对于他是从哪里来的这个秘密我隐约发现到了一点线索;

and I demanded, abruptly: "Do you come from another planet?"

于是,我就突然问道:“你是从另一个星球上来的吗?”

But he did not reply.

可是他不回答我的问题。

He tossed his head gently, without taking his eyes from my plane:

他轻轻地摇了摇头,眼睛没有离开我的飞机:

It is true that on that you can't have come from very far away.

可不是么,乘坐这玩艺儿,你不可能是从很远的地方来的


And he sank into a reverie, which lasted a long time.

说到这里,他就长时间地陷入沉思之中。

Then, taking my sheep out of his pocket, he buried himself in the contemplation of his treasure.

然后,从口袋里掏出了我画的小羊,看着他的宝贝入了神。

You can imagine how my curiosity was aroused by this half-confidence about the "other planets".

你们可以想见这种关于“别的星球”的若明若暗的话语使我心里多么好奇。

I made a great effort, therefore, to find out more on this subject.

因此我竭力地想知道其中更多的奥秘。

My little man, where do you come from?

你是从哪里来的,我的小家伙?

What is this 'where I live, of which you speak?

你的家在什么地方?

Where do you want to take your sheep?

你要把我的小羊带到哪里去?

After a reflective silence he answered:

他沉思了一会,然后回答我说:

The thing that is so good about the box you have given me is that at night he can use it as his house.

好在有你给我的那只箱子,夜晚可以给小羊当房子用。

That is so.

那当然。

And if you are good I will give you a string, too,

如果你听话的话,我再给你画一根绳子,

so that you can tie him during the day, and a post to tie him to.

白天可以栓住它。再加上一根扦杆。我的建议看来有点使小王子反感。

But the little prince seemed shocked by this offer: "Tie him! What a queer idea!"

但是小王子对他的侍从喊:“栓住它,多么奇怪的主意。”

"But if you don't tie him, " I said, "he will wander off somewhere, and get lost."

“如果你不栓住它,它就到处跑,那么它会跑丢的,”我说。

My friend broke into another peal of laughter: "But where do you think he would go?"

我的这位朋友又笑出了声:“你想要它跑到哪里去呀?”

Anywhere. Straight ahead of him.

不管什么地方。它一直往前跑。

Then the little prince said, earnestly: "That doesn't matter. Where I live, everything is so small!"

这时,小王子郑重其事地说:“这没有什么关系,我那里很小很小。

And, with perhaps a hint of sadness, he added: "Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far..."

接着,他略带伤感地又补充了一句:“一直朝前走,也不会走出多远”


·by chance偶然;意外地

·reveal [ri'vi:l]v.透露;显示

·complicated [komplikeitid]a.复杂的

·modestly ['mɔdistli]a.谦虚的

·a peal of —阵

·irritate [iriteit]v.激怒

·misfortune [mis'fɔ:tʃ(ə)n]n.不幸;灾难

·gleam [gli:m]n.微光;闪光

·impenetrable [im'penitrəb(ə)l]a.费解的;顽固的

·abruptly [ə'brʌptli]ad.突然地;唐突地

·toss [tɔs]v.向后甩

·sink into陷入

·reverie [reveri]n.沉思;幻想

·contemplation [ˌkɑːntəmˈpleɪʃn]n.沉思;默想

·reflective [riflektiv]a.沉思的;反射的

·string [strin]n.细绳;线;弦

·queer [kwiə]a.奇怪的

·wander ['wɔndə]v.徘徊;漫步

·earnestly [ˈɜːrnɪst]adv.认真地;诚挚地

·a hint of少许;一点点


以上内容来自专辑
用户评论
  • 你好 互粉一下