Surfing Online

Surfing Online

00:00
05:37

Surfing Online 

Now, Neil, how do you feel about surf and turf?
Surf and turf? I love it. 
What's not to love? Some lobster, a juicy steak fries on the side. Mmm, delicious. 
龙虾,多汁的牛排,一面经过油煎
Ah, you know what you've done there? ?
No, do tell. 
You've got completely the wrong end of the stick. 
I said steak, not stick - a juicy steak. 我说的是牛排,不是筷子,是多汁的牛排。
No! Wrong end of the stick. 。
You misunderstood me.
I'm not talking about the surf and turf meal, but the online shopping habit of surfing and turfing. 不是海鲜牛排套餐,而是只看不买的网购习惯。
Oh, my bad.But to be fair, this is quite a new use of this expression, isn't it?
Yes, it is. 
Now, you probably know that 'surfing' is a verb we use for looking at things on the internet. 现在"surfing"是我们用来指在网上找东西的一个动词。
Surf and turf' refers to when we go to an online store, select lots of things for our virtual shopping basket. “Surf and turf“指的是当我们进入网店时,挑选许多东西到我们的虚拟购物筐里。
But when we get to the checkout, which is the place where we pay for our shopping, we don't actually complete the purchase. 但是当我们来到支付购物花费的付款台时,我们实际上并没有完成购买。
We turf out the basket. We abandon it. 我们不要购物筐里的东西了,不要了。
To turf something out' is a phrasal verb for 'throwing something out'. ·To turf something out是一个动词词组,指的是将某物扔掉。
Although it's normally used about people, for example, someone who is behaving badly might be turfed out of a club. 通常用于人身上,例如行为举止恶劣的人或许会被赶出一个俱乐部。
Indeed. 
Well, I'm sure I'll get turfed out of the presenter's union if I don't get to today's quiz question. 
如果我不提今天测试问题的话,我会被赶出主持人联盟。
According to recent research, which items are the most likely to be surfed and turfed?Is it: a) Books b) Watches or c) Women's knitwear ?What do you think, Neil?
哪种商品是最有可能只看不买的?是a) 书籍 b) 手表 还是c) 女性针织品 
Right, I think...I'm also certain it's a) books. 好吧
Well, we'll find out if you're right later in the programme. 
Now, this research also revealed that approximately 40% of people have abandoned an online shopping basket in the last year. 调查同样表明去年大约有40%的人不要他们购物筐里的东西。
And it was calculated that this meant there was approximately 18 billion pounds worth of lost sales. 而且据估计这意味着大约有180亿英镑的销售损失。
I have to say, I'm a bit sceptical about that figure. 我不得不说,我对那个数字有所怀疑。
I don't trust it. 
We don't always intend to buy everything we put in our baskets. 
It's a bit like window shopping. 那有一点像橱窗购物(只看不买)。
We just browse and find it convenient to put things in our basket to think about later. 我们只是随便看看而且发现把东西放进购物车稍后再考虑买不买很方便。
Have you ever done that?你那样做过吗?
Sure. 当然。
It's a bit like browsing in a shop, isn't it? 那有点像在商店随便看看,不是吗?
Except you can save items you are interested in to look at later. 除了你可以把你感兴趣想要稍后再看的东西保存在购物筐里。
You might also make a basket in one online store, then go to another to see if you can get the same or similar items cheaper there. 你或许同样可以在网店里有购物筐,然后去别家看是否可有更低价的相同或相似商品。
So I agree: I don't think that the figure of 18 billion represents a total. 所以我同意,我不认为180亿那个数字代表全部。
Some of that was never intended to be spent and some would have gone to other stores. 其中有一些是没打算买的,而且有一些是去别家店铺购买的。
But there are other reasons we don't complete our purchases. 但是我们没有完成购买有其它理由。
For some it's finding out at the end that there will be a high delivery cost or that paying is very complicated. 对于一些人来说,最后才发现有高价运费或者付款非常复杂。
Yes, I agree with that. 是的,我同意你说的。
That's so annoying. 那如此烦人。
]You spend time collecting all the things in the basket, then find you have to create an account, 你花费时间收集所有东西到购物筐里,然后发现你必须创建一个账户,
or you can't use your favourite payment method, or have to pay more to use a credit card and you have to fill out so many details. 或者是你无法使用自己最喜欢的支付方式,又或者是使用信用卡花的钱更多,而且你必须要填写很多细节。
Sometimes you get so frustrated that you just give up. 有时你变得如此沮丧,你只能放弃。
Exactly, and this is a subject that retail expert Clare Bailey discussed in the BBC programme You and Yours. 确实是,而且这是零售方面的专家克莱尔?贝利在BBC节目You and Yours里讨论过的主题。
She talks about retailers, which are the businesses that sell things. 她谈到了零售业,那是卖东西的业务。
What does she say 70% of retailers hadn't done?她说70%的零售业没有做什么呢?
We found that something over 70% of the retailers hadn't invested in the payment process in the last two years, so the technology is really out of date. 我们发现在过去两年里有超过70%的零售业没有投资支付过程,所以支付技术真的过时了。
Whereas they have potentially invested in getting us to that page and then they fell foul. 然而反之他们有可能投资引导人们进入购物网页,然后就有冲突了。
70% of retailers hadn't invested in the payment process. ·70%的零售业没有对支付过程进行投资。
They hadn't changed the way people pay online for at least two years. 至少在两年里他们没有改变人们网上支付的方式。
Because online technology develops so quickly, that means that their systems are out of date. 因为网上科技进步如此迅速,那意味着他们的体系过时了。
Something that is out of date is too old, it's no longer suitable. 
She says that companies invest in the shopping experience of their sites but have ignored the checkout process. 她说公司对自己网站的购物体验进行投资,但是却忽略了付款过程。
This is where they fall foul. 这是他们冲突的地方。
This is where they make a mistake and get into trouble and where they can lose customers. 这是他们犯错,陷入麻烦以及失去了顾客的地方。
Right, before we fall foul of the listener, let's have the answer to the quiz. 好的,在我们和听众发生冲突以前,让我们揭晓一下测试的答案。
I asked you which items were the most commonly abandoned at the virtual checkout. 
被抛弃于虚拟付款台的。
Was it books, watches or women's knitwear? So Neil, what did you say?
I'm pretty certain it's books. 
The answer was actually women's knitwear. 
Not books, as you thought. 
Ah, well, I can't be right all the time. 我不能总是对的。
Some of the time would be nice. 有对的时候就好。


Anyway, let's have a look at today's vocabulary. 
First 'surf and turf' is an expression for online shopping without the actual shopping. 首先"surf and turf"是实际没买东西的网购的表达。
You put items in your basket but never actually buy them. 
It's also a delicious meal of seafood and red meat. 它同时也是海鲜和牛肉的一道美餐。
]Not if you're a vegetarian, Neil. 如果你不是素食主义者的话,尼尔。
Ah, good point, good point. 
The verb 'to turf out' means 'to remove someone from a place or organisation, possibly because they've broken the rules or behaved badly'. 动词“to turf out“指的是“将某人从一个地方或者组织赶走,可能是因为他们破坏了规则或者是举止恶劣”。
For example, if we don't finish the programme on time, we might be turfed out of this studio. 例如,如果我们不准时完成节目,我们或许会被赶出这个演播室。
The place where you pay for your shopping, either in a real shop or online is the checkout. 为你购物付款的地方,不管是在实体商店还是网上店铺,是收款台。
That can be a verb as well as a noun: you check out at the checkout. 那可以是一个动词也可以是一个名词:你在付款台付款。
The businesses that sell you things are retailers. 卖给你东西的业务叫做零售业。
 with hope they don't sell you things that are out of date, because that would mean they are past their best - too old to be suitable. 希望他们没有卖给你过时的东西,因为那意味着它们过了最好的时候:太老旧以至于不适合。
And finally there was to fall foul of something or someone, which is 'to make a mistake and get into trouble with someone'. 最后是和某事或者某人冲突,那是指犯错并且和他人陷入麻烦。
And as we don't want to fall foul of the next team who need to use this studio, it's just time for us to say goodbye 而且我们不想和接下来要使用演播室的团队发生冲突,是时候说再见了

以上内容来自专辑
用户评论

    还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!