In a typical year the world emits over 51 billion tons of greenhouse gases and as we keep doing that, the consequences for human life will be catastrophic.
在正常的一年中,全球会排放超过510亿吨的温室气体,我们所持续排放的温室气体也将对人类生活带来灾难性的后果。
When I first fell in love with computers as a teenager, they were enormous, expensive, and only the government and big companies could afford them.
当我十几岁第一次爱上计算机时,计算机既巨大又昂贵,只有政府和大公司才能负担得起。
But my friends and I became obsessed with a wild idea.
但我和我朋友痴迷于一个疯狂的想法。
What could we do if there was a computer on every desk?
如果每张桌子上都有一台计算机,我们能做些什么呢?
And now the wild idea is quite tame.
到了现在这个疯狂的想法还挺普通的。
Billions of people not only have computers on their desk but even in their pockets.
数十亿人不仅在办公桌上有计算机,口袋里也有。
Now the world needs another breakthrough.
现在世界需要另一个突破。
In fact it needs many breakthroughs.
事实上,这个世界需要许多突破。
We need to get from 51 billion tons to zero while still meeting the planet's basic needs.
我们需要从510亿吨降到零吨为止,同时满足地球的基本需求。
That means we need to transform the way we do almost everything.
这意味着我们需要改变我们做几乎所有事情的方式。
Our commitment to developing these innovations will mean the difference between a future where everyone can live a healthy and productive life and one where we are constantly dealing with the human and financial crises at a historic scale.
我们致力发展的这些创新,体现出来的就是人类两种不同未来的差距,一种未来能让人人健康而富饶,另一种未来则是让我们需要不断处理史无前例的人类和金融危机。
Entrepreneurs and investors have to build new businesses and change existing businesses to get these solutions deployed.
企业家和投资者必须创建新业务,并改变现有业务才能部署这些解决方案。
Government leaders have to enact new policies that drive the market for clean energy.
政府领导人必须制定能推动绿色能源市场的新政策。
And advocates have to keep their voices loud to hold all of us accountable for rapid progress.
而支持这些变革的人们则需继续奔走呼告,让我们所有人都对世界快速进步负责。
Avoiding a climate disaster will be one of the greatest challenges humans have ever taken on.
避免气候灾难将是人类曾经面临的最困难的挑战之一。
Greater than landing on the moon, greater than eradicating smallpox, even greater than putting a computer on every desk.
比登陆月球还难,比消灭天花还难,甚至比让每张桌子上都有计算机还难。
My basic optimism about climate change comes from my belief in innovation.
我对气候变迁的乐观态度,源自于我对创新的信念。
It's our power to invent that makes me hopeful.
正是我们的发明能力让我充满希望。
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!