3⃣️来到英格兰3

3⃣️来到英格兰3

00:00
05:08
SECRETARY

招聘秘书启事

for the summer months

苏格兰一私人小岛上

on a small private island in Scotland.

夏季招聘秘书一名。

Live with the family in a big house.

可与本家共享宽裕住所。

interseting work and good pay

若人选合适,

for the right person.

工作有趣,薪金丰厚。

Phone Greta Poss.Telephone number 071…

有意者请与格里塔·罗斯联系。电话:071……

‘Well, that sounds interesting,'said my mother.‘I'd like to work as a secretary on an island in Scotland.It's a beautiful country, Carol, and you can go to a college there in the autumn.’

嗯,听起来挺有意思的。我妈妈说,我愿意在苏格兰的一个岛上干秘书工作。它是个很美丽的地方,卡罗尔,而且你秋季可以在那儿上大学。

‘And it's a place to live for the summer,’I said.‘Hotels are expensive.’

夏季也可以在那儿过。我说,饭店很费钱。

My mother telephoned Greta Ross.

我妈妈打电话给格里塔·罗斯。

Come and see me tomorrow, Greta Ross told her.‘Come to Savoy Hotel at eleven o'clock.’

明天来见我吧。格里塔·罗斯告诉她,11点请到萨沃伊饭店来。

I went to Savoy Hotel with my mother.It was big and ex pensive,bigger than our hotel,and in the centre of London.

我和妈妈一起去了萨沃伊饭店。这个饭店既大又贵,比我们住的饭店大,并位于伦敦的中心地带。

‘Mum needs this job,I thought.‘And a private island in Scotland is a nice place to live.Perhaps I can forget what's happened if I go there.’

妈妈需要这个工作。我想,苏格兰的一座私人岛屿还是个生活的好地方。我如果去那儿,也许就可以把过去发生的事情忘掉。

‘Room twenty-two,'said the woman at the hotel desk.‘Go on up. Mrs Ross will see you now.’

22号房间。饭店服务台的女士说,上楼去吧。罗斯夫人现在就可以接见您。

Greta Ross was waiting for us.She was about thirty years old and very beautiful.She wore an expensive red dress and her hair was very long and dark.

格里塔·罗斯正等着我们。她大约三十岁,很漂亮。她穿着一件很贵的红色连衣裙,头发很长很黑。

‘This is my daughter,Carol,'said my mother.

这是我女儿卡罗尔,我妈妈说。

‘Hallo, Carol,'said Greta Ross.

你好,卡罗尔。格里塔·罗斯说。

‘Hallo,’I said.

您好,我说。

‘Carol is eighteen years old,'said my mother.‘Can she come with me,if I get the job? Perhaps she can help in the house or in the garden.She likes gardening.She's studying farming at college.’

卡罗尔18岁了。我妈妈说,如果我能得到这份工作,她可以跟着我吗?也许她能帮助做些家务活或干些园子里的活。她喜欢园艺。她正在大学学农业。

‘Perhaps, said Greta Ross.‘There's a small farm on the island.’

也许行吧。格里塔·罗斯说,岛上有个小农场。

‘I'd like to work on the farm,’I said.

我喜欢在农场里干活,我说。

Greta Ross looked at my mother.‘How long did you live in Hong Kong,Mrs Sanders?’

格里塔·罗斯看了看我母亲。你们在香港住了多久,桑德斯夫人?

‘Seven years,’answered my mother.‘My husband died in a plane crash last year,so we've come back to live in England.’

七年。我妈妈说,我丈夫去年因飞机失事去世了,所以我们回英格兰住来了。

‘Where did you live before Hong Kong?’

住在香港之前你们呆在哪儿?

‘We lived in India for three years.’

我们在印度住了三年。

Then Greta Ross took my mother into a room and asked her more questions.I waited outside.

然后格里塔·罗斯带我妈妈进了一个房间,问了她更多的问题。我在外边等着。

‘Greta Ross is nice,’I thought.‘I hope my mother gets the job.’

格里塔·罗斯挺好的。我想,我希望妈妈能得到这份工作。

Soon after,the door opened and my mother came out.She was smiling.

过了不一会儿门开了,我妈妈出来了。她微笑着。

Greta Ross said,‘Please wait here for a minute,Mrs Sanders.I want to make a phone call.'she went back into the room,and closed the door.

格里塔·罗斯说:请在这儿等一会儿,桑德斯夫人。我想去打个电话。她返回房间,并关上了门。

I was sitting on a chair near the door,and I could just hear Greta Ross's voice speaking on the phone.

我坐在门旁的一把椅子上,正好能听到格里塔·罗斯打电话的声音。

‘I think I've found someone,'she was saying.‘She has a daughter,but the girl can work in the garden or on the farm… Don't worry,they've been away from England for ten years… It'll be all right,I tell you… Don't worry.’

我想我已经找到了一个人。她正在说,她有个女儿,但这个女孩可以在园子或在农场干些活儿……别担心,她们离开英格兰已有10年了……不会出事的,我告诉你……别担心。

After a few minutes, Greta Ross put down the phone and came ont of the room.

过了一会儿,格里塔·罗斯挂上了电话并从屋里出来了。

‘You've got the job,'she told my mother.

你得到了这份工作,她告诉我妈妈说。

My mother was pleased.‘Thank you,'she replied.

我妈妈很高兴。谢谢您,她说。

I was pleased,too, but now I was worried about that phone call.I didn't understand it.

我也很高兴,可现在我对那个电话感到忧虑不安。我不明白它的意思。
以上内容来自专辑
用户评论

    还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!