小王子第21章

小王子第21章

00:00
13:45

It was then that the fox appeared.

就在这当儿,跑来了一只狐狸。

"Good morning," said the fox.

“你好。”狐狸说。

"Good morning," the little prince responded politely, although when he turned around he saw nothing.

“你好。”小王子很有礼貌地回答道。他转过身来,但什么也没有看到。

"I am right here," the voice said, "under the apple tree."

“我在这儿,在苹果树下。”那声音说。

"Who are you?" asked the little prince, and added, "You are very pretty tolook at."

“你是谁?”小王子说,“你很漂亮。”

"I am a fox," said the fox.

“我是一只狐狸。”狐狸说。

"Come and play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."

“来和我一起玩吧,”小王子建议道,“我很苦恼…”

"I cannot play with you," the fox said. "I am not tamed."

“我不能和你一起玩,”狐狸说,“我还没有被驯服呢。”

"Ah! Please excuse me," said the little prince.

“啊!真对不起。”小王子说。

But, after some thought, he added: "What does that mean --'tame'?"

思索了一会儿,他又说道:“什么叫驯服呀?”

"You do not live here," said the fox. "What is it that you are looking for?"

“你不是此地人。”狐狸说,“你来寻找什么?”

"I am looking for men," said the little prince. "What does that mean --'tame'?"

“我来找人。”小王子说,“什么叫驯服呢?”

"Men," said the fox. "They have guns, and they hunt. It is very disturbing.

“人,”狐狸说,“他们有枪,他们还打猎,这真碍事!

They also raise chickens. These are their only interests. Are you looking for chickens?"

他们唯一的可取之处就是他们也养鸡,你是来寻找鸡的吗?”

"No," said the little prince. "I am looking for friends. What does that mean --'tame'?"

“不,”小王子说,“我是来找朋友的。什么叫驯服呢?”

"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties."

“这是已经早就被人遗忘了的事情,”狐狸说,“它的意思就是建立联系。”

" To establish ties?" 

“建立联系?”

"Just that," said the fox. To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys.

“一点不错,”狐狸说。对我来说,你还只是一个小男孩,就像其他千万个小男孩一样。

And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me.

我不需要你。你也同样用不着我。

To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.

对你来说,我也不过是一只狐狸,和其他千万只狐狸一样。

But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.

但是,如果你驯服了我,我们就互相不可缺少了。

To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.

对我来说,你就是世界上唯一的了;我对你来说,也是世界上唯一的了。

"I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower... I think that she has tamed me..."

“我有点明白了。”小王子说,“有一朵花…,我想,她把我驯服了…”

"It is possible," said the fox. "On the Earth one sees all sorts of things."

“这是可能的。”狐狸说,“世界上什么样的事都可能看到…”

"Oh, but this is not on the Earth!" said the little prince.

“啊,这不是在地球上的事。”小王子说。

The fox seemed perplexed, and very curious.

狐狸感到十分蹊跷。

“On another planet?”

在另一个星球上?

“Yes.”

是的。

“Are there hunters on this planet?”

在那个星球上,有猎人吗?

“No.”

没有。

“Ah, that is interesting! Are there chickens?”

这很有意思。那么,有鸡吗?

“No.”

没有。

"Nothing is perfect," sighed the fox.

没有十全十美的。”狐狸叹息地说道。

But he came back to his idea.

可是,狐狸又把话题拉回来:

"My life is very monotonous," the fox said.

我的生活很单调。

"I hunt chickens; men hunt me.

我捕捉鸡,而人又捕捉我。

All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike.

所有的鸡全都一样,所有的人也全都一样。

And, in consequence, I am a little bored.

因此,我感到有些厌烦了。

But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life.

但是,如果你要是驯服了我,我的生活就一定会是欢快的。

I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others.

我会辨认出一种与众不同的脚步声。

Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground.

其他的脚步声会使我躲到地下去,

Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow.

而你的脚步声就会象音乐一样让我从洞里走出来。

And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder?

再说,你看!你看到那边的麦田没有?


I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me.

我不吃面包,麦子对我来说,一点用也没有。

The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad.

我对麦田无动于衷。而这,真使人扫兴。

But you have hair that is the colour of gold.

但是,你有着金黄色的头发。

Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me!

那么,一旦你驯服了我,这就会十分美妙。

The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat..."

麦子,是金黄色的,它就会使我想起你。而且,我甚至会喜欢那风吹麦浪的声音…


The fox gazed at the little prince, for a long time.

狐狸沉默不语,久久地看着小王子。


"Please tame me!" he said.

“请你驯服我吧!”他说。


"I want to, very much," the little prince replied.

“我是很愿意的。”小王子回答道,


But I have not much time. I have friends to discover, and a great many things to understand.

可我的时间不多了。我还要去寻找朋友,还有许多事物要了解。


"One only understands the things that one tames," said the fox.

“只有被驯服了的事物,才会被了解。”狐狸说,


"Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops.

人不会再有时间去了解任何东西的。他们总是到商人那里去购买现成的东西。


But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more.

因为世界上还没有购买朋友的商店,所以人也就没有朋友。


If you want a friend, tame me."

如果你想要一个朋友,那就驯服我吧!


"What must I do, to tame you?" asked the little prince.

“那么应当做些什么呢?”小王子说。


 "You must be very patient," replied the fox.

“应当非常耐心。”狐狸回答道,


"First you will sit down at a little distance from me like that in the grass.

开始你就这样坐在草丛中,坐得离我稍微远些。


I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings.

我用眼角瞅着你,你什么也不要说。话语是误会的根源。


But you will sit a little closer to me, every day..."

但是,每天,你坐得靠我更近些…


The next day the little prince came back.

第二天,小王子又来了。


"It would have been better to come back at the same hour," said the fox.

“最好还是在原来的那个时间来。”狐狸说道,


"If, for example, you come at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to be happy.

比如说,你下午四点钟来,那么从三点钟起,我就开始感到幸福。


I shall feel happier and happier as the hour advances.

时间越临近,我就越感到幸福。


At four o'clock, I shall already be worrying and jumping about. I shall show you how happy I am!

到了四点钟的时候,我就会坐立不安;我就会发现幸福的代价。


But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you...One must observe the proper rites..."

但是,如果你随便什么时候来,我就不知道在什么时候该准备好我的心情应当有一定的仪式。


"What is a rite?" asked the little prince.

“仪式是什么?”小王子问道。


"Those also are actions too often neglected," said the fox.

“这也是一种早已被人忘却了的事。”狐狸说,


"They are what make one day different from other days, one hour from other hours.

它就是使某一天与其他日子不同,使某一时刻与其他时刻不同。


There is a rite, for example, among my hunters. Every Thursday they dance with the village girls.

比如说,我的那些猎人就有一种仪式。他们每星期四都和村子里的姑娘们跳舞


So Thursday is a wonderful day for me! I can take a walk as far as the vineyards.

于是,星期四就是一个美好的日子!我可以一直散步到葡萄园去。


But if the hunters danced at just any time, every day would be like every other day, and I should never have any vacation at all.

如果猎人们什么时候都跳舞,天天又全都一样,那么我也就没有假日了。”


So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near:

就这样,小王子驯服了狐狸。当出发的时刻就快要来到时:


"Ah," said the fox, "I shall cry."

“啊!”狐狸说,“我一定会哭的。”


"It is your own fault," said the little prince. "I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you... "

“这是你的过错,”小王子说,“我本来并不想给你任何痛苦,可你却要我驯服你…”


"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

“是这样的。”狐狸说。



"But now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.

“你可就要哭了!”小王子说。


"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

“当然罗。”狐狸说。


"Then it has done you no good at all!"

“那么你什么好处也没得到。”


"It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields."

“由于麦子颜色的缘故,我还是得到了好处。”狐狸说。


And then he added: “Go and look again at the roses.

然后,他又接着说。再去看看那些玫瑰花吧。


You will understand now that yours is unique in all the world.

你一定会明白,你的那朵是世界上独一无二的玫瑰。你回来和我告别时,我再赠送给你一个秘密。


Then come back to say goodbye to me, and I will make you a present of a secret.”

你回来和我告别时,我再赠送给你一个秘密。


The little prince went away, to look again at the roses.

于是小王子又去看那些玫瑰。


"You are not at all like my rose," he said. "As yet you are nothing.

“你们一点也不象我的那朵玫瑰,你们还什么都不是呢!”小王子对她们说。


No one has tamed you, and you have tamed no one.

没有人驯服过你们,你们也没有驯服过任何人。


You are like my fox when I first knew him.

你们就象我的狐狸过去那样,


He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.

它那时只是和千万只别的狐狸一样的一只狐狸。


But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world." And the roses were very much embarrassed.

但是,我现在已经把它当成了我的朋友,于是它现在就是世界上独一无二的了。这时,那些玫瑰花显得十分难堪。


"You are beautiful, but you are empty," he went on. "One could not die for you.

"你们很美,但你们是空虚的。”小王子仍然在对她们说,没有人能为你们去死。


To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you the rose that belongs to me.

当然罗,我的那朵玫瑰花,一个普通的过路人以为她和你们一样。


But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that I have watered;

可是,她单独一朵就比你们全体更重要,因为她是我浇灌的。


because it is she that I have put under the glass globe; because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen;

因为她是我放在花罩中的。因为她是我用屏风保护起来的。


because it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except the two or three that we saved to become butterfies);

因为她身上的毛虫(除了留下两三只为了变蝴蝶而外)是我除灭的。


because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing.

因为我倾听过她的怨艾和自诩,甚至有时我聆听着她的沉默。


Because she is my rose."

因为她是我的玫瑰。


And he went back to meet the fox.

他又回到了狐狸身边。


"Goodbye," he said.

“再见了。”小王子说道。


"Goodbye," said the fox. "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:

“再见。”狐狸说。“喏,这就是我的秘密。很简单:


It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

只有用心才能看得清。实质性的东西,用眼睛是看不见的。


"What is essential is invisible to the eye," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

“实质性的东西,用眼睛是看不见的。”小王子重复着这句话,以便能把它记在心间。


"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.

正因为你为你的玫瑰花费了时间,这才使你的玫瑰变得如此重要。


"It is the time I have wasted for my rose–" said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.

“正因为你为你的玫瑰花费了时间…”小王子又重复着,要使自己记住这些。


"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. But you must not forget it.

“人们已经忘记了这个道理,”狐狸说,可是,你不应该忘记它。


You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose...

你现在要对你驯服过的一切负责到底。你要对你的玫瑰负责…


"I am responsible for my rose," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

“我要对我的玫瑰负责…”小王子又重复着……



以上内容来自专辑
用户评论

    还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!