小王子第17章

小王子第17章

00:00
05:42

When one wishes to play the wit, he sometimes wanders a little from the truth.
当人们想要说得俏皮些的时候,说话就可能会不大实在。

I have not been altogether honest in what I have told you about the lamplighters.
在给你们讲点灯人的时候,我就不那么忠实,

And I realize that I run the risk of giving a false idea of our planet to those who do not know it.
很可能给不了解我们这个星球的人们造成一个错误的概念。

Men occupy a very small place upon the Earth.
在地球上,人们所占的位置非常小。

If the two billion inhabitants who people its surface were all to stand upright and somewhat crowded together,
如果住在地球上的二十亿居民全站着,并且象开大会一样靠得紧些,

as they do for some big public assembly, they could easily be put into one public square twenty miles long and twenty miles wide.
那么就可以从容地站在一个二十海里见方的广场上。

All humanity could be piled up on a small Pacific islet.
也就是说可以把整个人类集中在太平洋中一个最小的岛屿上。

The grown-ups, to be sure, will not believe you when you tell them that.
当然,大人们是不会相信你们的。

They imagine that they fill a great deal of space.
他们自以为要占很大地方,

They fancy themselves as important as the baobabs.
他们把自己看得象猴面包树那样大得了不起。

You should advise them, then, to make their own calculations.
你们可以建议他们计算一下。这样会使他们很高兴,

They adore figures, and that will please them.
因为他们非常喜欢数目字。

But do not waste your time on this extra task. It is unnecessary.
可是你们无须浪费时间去做这种乏味的连篇累牍的演算。这没有必要。

You have, I know, confidence in me.
你们可以完全相信我。

When the little prince arrived on the Earth, he was very much surprised not to see any people.
小王子到了地球上感到非常奇怪,他一个人也没有看到,

He was beginning to be afraid he had come to the wrong planet, when a coil of gold, the color of the moonlight, flashed across the sand.
他正担心自己跑错了星球。这时,在沙地上有一个月光色的圆环在蠕动。

"Good evening," said the little prince courteously.
小王子毫无把握地随便说了声:“晚安。”

"Good evening," said the snake.
“晚安。”蛇说道。

"What planet is this on which I have come down?" asked the little prince.
“我落在什么行星上?”小王子问道。

"This is the Earth; this is Africa," the snake answered.
“在地球上,在非洲。”蛇回答道。

Ah! Then there are no people on the Earth?
啊!…怎么,难道说地球上没有人吗?

"This is the desert. There are no people in the desert. The Earth is large,"said the snake.
“这里是沙漠,沙漠中没有人。地球是很大的。”蛇说。

The little prince sat down on a stone, and raised his eyes toward the sky.
小王子坐在一块石头上,抬眼望着天空,

"I wonder," he said, "whether the stars are set alight in heaven so that one day each one of us may find his own again...
说道:“我捉摸这些星星闪闪发亮是否为了让每个人将来有一天都能重新找到自己的星球。

Look at my planet. It is right there above us. But how far away it is!"
看,我那颗行星。它恰好在我们头顶上,可是,它离我们好远哟!

"It is beautiful," the snake said. "What has brought you here?"
“它很美。”蛇说,“你到这里来干什么呢?”

"I have been having some trouble with a flower," said the little prince.
“我和一朵花闹了别扭。”小王子说。

"Ah!" said the snake.
“啊!”蛇说道。

And they were both silent.
于是他们都沉默下来。

"Where are the men?" the little prince at last took up the conversation again. "It is a little lonely in the desert... "
“人在什么地方?”小王子终于又开了腔。“在沙漠上,真有点孤独…”

"It is also lonely among men," the snake said.
“到了有人的地方,也一样孤独。”蛇说。

The little prince gazed at him for a long time.
小王子长时间地看着蛇。

"You are a funny animal," he said at last. "You are no thicker than a finger... "
“你是个奇怪的动物,细得象个手指头…。”小王子终于说道。

"But I am more powerful than the finger of a king," said the snake.
“但我比一个国王的手指更有威力。”蛇说道。

The little prince smiled.
小王子微笑着说,

"You are not very powerful. You haven't even any feet. You cannot even travel..."
你并不那么有威力,你连脚都没有,你甚至都不能旅行…

"I can carry you farther than any ship could take you," said the snake.
“我可以把你带到很远的地方去,比一只船能去的地方还要远。”蛇说道。

He twined himself around the little prince's ankle, like a golden bracelet.
蛇就盘结在小王子的脚腕子上,象一只金镯子。


"Whomever I touch, I send back to the earth from whence he came," the snake spoke again. "But you are innocent and true, and you come from a star... "
“被我碰触的人,我就把他送回老家去。”蛇还说,“可是你是纯洁的,而且是从另一个星球上来的…”


The little prince made no reply.
小王子什么也没有回答。


"You move me to pity, you are so weak on this Earth made of granite," the snake said.
在这个花岗石的地球上,你这么弱小,我很可怜你。


"I can help you, some day, if you grow too homesick for your own planet. I can."
如果你非常怀念你的星球,那时我可以帮助你。我可以.

"Oh! I understand you very well," said the little prince. "But why do you always speak in riddles?"
“啊!我很明白你的意思。”小王子说,“但是你为什么说话总是象让人猜谜语似的?”

"I solve them all," said the snake.
“这些谜语我都能解开的。”蛇说。

And they were both silent.
于是他们又都沉默起来。

以上内容来自专辑
用户评论

    还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!