Elon Musk Sees His Neuralink Merging Your Brain With A.I.
Elon Musk said startup Neuralink, which aims to build a scalable implant to connect human brains with computers, has already implanted chips in rats and plans to test its brain-machine interface in humans within two years, with a long-term goal of people "merging with AI."
Once implanted, according to Musk, the chip would connect wirelessly to devices. "It basically Bluetooths to your phone," he said. "We'll have to watch the App Store updates to that one," he added (the audience laughed).
Musk cofounded Neuralink in 2017 and serves as the company's CEO, though it's unclear how much involvement he has given that he's also serving as CEO for SpaceX and Tesla.
Musk spoke about the potential for its company's neural implants to improve the lives of people with brain damage and other brain disabilities. Its first goal, based on its discussions with such patients, is the ability to control a mobile device.
The company's long-term goal is a bit more fantastical, and relates to Musk's oft-repeated concerns over the dangers of advanced artificial intelligence. That goal is to use the company's chips to create a "tertiarylevel" of the brain that would be linked to artificial intelligence.
see /siː/ v. 设想；想象
to consider sth. as a future possibility; to imagine sb./sth. as sth.
• I can't see her changing her mind. 我无法想象她会改变主意。
merge /mɜːdʒ/ v. 合并；融合
to combine, or to join things together to form one thing
• The bank announced that it was to merge with another of the high street banks. 这家银行宣布将要和另一家大银行合并。
scalable /'skeɪləbəl/ adj. （计算过程）可用于（或产生）多种能力的
(of a computing process) able to be used or produced in a range of capabilities
• It is scalable across a range of systems. 它能用于广泛的系统中。
implant /ˈɪmplɑːnt/ n. （通过手术被移植进人体的）植入物
something artificial that is put into someone's body in a medical operation
• They felt a woman had a right to choose to have a breast implant. 他们认为妇女有权利选择隆胸。
interface /'ɪntəfeɪs/ n. 接口
the part of a computer system that connects two different machines
• the interface between computer and printer 计算机和打印机之间的接口
watch /wɒtʃ/ v. 关注
to pay attention to a situation that interests or worries you to see how it develops
• The government will watch the progress of these schemes with interest. 政府会很有兴趣地关注这些计划的进展。
fantastical /fænˈtæstɪkəl/ adj. 奇异的，荒唐的，虚构的
strange, unreal, and magical
• fantastical creatures with golden wings and lions' faces 金翅狮面的怪兽
oft /ɒft/ adv. 经常，时常
• oft-repeated advice 再三重复的忠告
tertiary /'tɜːʃəri/ adj. 第三的；第三级的；第三位的
third in place, degree, or order
• the tertiary sector (= the area of industry that deals with services rather than materials or goods) 第三产业部门
林博，笔名林伯虎，微信公众号“在下林伯虎”，虎哥课堂创始人，牛津大学区域研究学硕士，南京大学法学硕士。游学欧美十余国，金融沪港四五年。 前香港某大型金融机构首席市场发展经理。曾获凤凰卫视主持人offer，南京大学辩论队长，China Daily 校园新闻奖评委。