塔兰赛岛的命运召唤 Chapter 6 讲义
aim /eɪm/ v. 旨在，目的是
· aim to 计划，打算
· We aim to have a picnic tomorrow. 我们计划明天去野餐。
· aim at 力求达到，力争做到
· They're aiming at training everybody by the end of the year. 他们力求做到在年底前培训每个人。
marine /mə'riːn/ adj. 海洋的，航海的
· I know of scientists who conduct marine life surveys. 我知道有科学家在从事海洋生命的研究。
ferry /ˈferi/ n. 渡船，摆渡
sponsor /ˈspɒnsə(r)/ n. 赞助商
research /rɪ'sɜːtʃ/ n. 研究，调查
· academic research 学术研究
· research project 研究项目
look forward to 期待，盼望
· My family and I look forward to seeing you next month. 我和我的家人都期待在下个月能看到你。
organic /ɔː'gænɪk/ adj. 有机的，组织的
· Otherwise, how to promote the organic agriculture? 否则，怎样来推广有机农业呢？
chain /tʃeɪn/ n. 连锁店，链条
· a chain of 一连串
· The action would initiate a chain of events. 这一行动将引发一连串事件。
publisher /'pʌblɪʃə/ n. 出版社，出版商
· The publishers planned to produce the journal on a weekly basis. 出版社计划将这份杂志做成周刊。
mess /mes/ n. 混乱
· a mess of 一大堆……
· in a mess 乱糟糟，一团糟
· The room was in a mess. 这个房间杂乱不堪。
pack /pæk/ v. 收拾（行李）
· I haven't packed yet. 我还没收拾行李呢。
· pack up 整理，把……打包
underwear /'ʌndəweə/ n. 内衣物
· For Christmas my brother and I got new underwear, one toy and one book. 作为圣诞礼物，我弟弟和我得到了新内衣、一件玩具和一本书。
weird /wɪəd/ adj. 怪异的，不可思议的
· She's a really weird girl. 她真是个古怪的女孩。
Chapter 6 Getting Ready For The Trip
Dear Mum and Dad,
as I told you in my last e-mail, tomorrow I'm leaving for the Outer Hebrides. We're going to Inverness by train and then we'll start our bike ride from the Island of Lewis. We aim to land on islands like Taransay, St Kilda and Scarp, which the ferry can't get to. Our transport will be a marine research vessel.
I'm really looking forward to seeing these wild and remote places. It'll be a wonderful experience - you both know how important it is for me to do something for children who haven't been as lucky as me.
We've found a few well-known sponsors for this event - an English company that produces organic food, a famous chain of supermarkets and a publisher of children's books. This means we're going to raise quite a lot of money!
I'll try to get in touch with you by phone, because I don't think I'll find many internet cafés on the islands!
I'm waiting for Shanya: she's got a new boyfriend, a boy from Norwich who is studying to become a journalist. She seems very happy and I'm really pleased for her.
Hugs and kisses to both of you.
Hi, Sam. How's life?
Well, I'm a bit excited…
Hey, what a mess! Haven't you finished packing yet?
Well, I was waiting for you. I thought you could give me a hand!
I knew it! OK, let's see… What goes in the rucksack?
Two pairs of trousers, two pullovers, a pair of trainers, some T-shirts and some underwear.
Oh, you were writing an e-mail.
Yes, to Mum and Dad. They were a bit worried.
And the strange thing is that I had a dream last night. I was on one of the islands and I felt as if I'd lived there for a long time… it was really weird.
Oh, come on, Sam. It was just a dream!
塔兰赛岛的命运召唤 Chapter 6 习题
1. “Underwear” is ( ).
解析：A. shirt n.衬衫 B. trousers n.裤子 C. underwear n.内衣D. jacket n.夹克
2. Samuel is going with the group to Inverness by bicycle. （F）
解析：Samuel is going with the group to Inverness by train.
3. Samuel's mum and dad are really happy that Sam is going on the bike ride. （F）
解析：Samuel's mum and dad are a bit worried that Sam is going on the bike ride.
4. Samuel ( ) an e-mail to his parents when Shanya arrived.
A. is writing
B. was writing
解析：当莎妮雅到的时候，塞缪尔正在给父母写邮件。此处为过去进行时，结构为主语+was /were + V-ing。
5. I'm really looking forward to ( ) these wild and remote places.
look forward to doing sth期待、盼望做某事