下载每日英语听力APP,解锁双语字幕及更多学习功能!
My love of the sea and this watch on my wrist are inextricably linked.
我对大海的喜爱与我手上这块腕表密不可分。
It's a true bond.
这是一种真正的纽带。
So what drove me, a man who has little attachment to objects of any kind, to desire a uniquely specific timepiece?
那么,是什么驱使我,让一个几乎不会迷恋任何事物的人,想拥有这一款腕表呢?
Well, let me tell you this story.
且听我娓娓道来。
I grew up revering the great ocean explorers – the pioneers, the adventurers committed to advancing our understanding of the planet.
我从小就崇拜伟大的海洋探险家、开拓者、冒险家,他们的全情投入增进了我们对地球的了解。
I followed their accomplishments – their courage to venture beyond the edge of their lights.
我追随着他们的成就——他们敢于冒险的勇气,前往未知领域。
I was drawn to the sea.
我对海洋心神向往。
So I learned to dive, hoping that one day, I'd be worthy of being one of them.
所以我去学潜水,希望有一天能成为他们其中一份子。
To this select group, a watch is never just a watch.
对于这群人来说,腕表绝不仅是用来读时的。
It's a tool.
它是一个工具。
It's one that must endure what they endure, no matter the depths.
无论处在什么深度与环境,都必须是无比可靠的工具。
One that requires absolute precision and an unparalleled robustness.
需要绝对精准度和非凡的坚固性。
To this handful of exceptional individuals, that watch has a name: it's the Submariner.
对这些少数杰出人士来说,这只腕表的名字就是:潜航者型。
It's not merely a watch you own.
这不仅是你的腕表。
It's a watch you earn.
它是成就的象征。
And it has accompanied me for – I'll have to do the math on this – 25 years through arduous expeditions, strenuous film shoots, strenuous Hollywood award ceremonies… But just as I felt the need to earn it, I needed to earn the right to keep it.
它伴随了我25年,我计算过,陪我经历了艰苦的探险、繁忙的电影拍摄工作、出席好莱坞颁奖典礼等......然而我认为这只腕表不仅是一个成就的象征,也是不断追求卓越的象征。
So I've committed my life to the preservation of ecosystems, to safeguard our planet.
所以我毕生致力于保育生态系统,保护我们的地球。
And after one such hard-fought and ongoing battle beside the indigenous leader Chief Raoni of the Kayapo people, I presented a gift.
我与卡亚波族部落的劳尼酋长一同经历了一场艰苦的持久战之后,我送给他一份礼物。
It was to honour the bond that we had built.
为了纪念我们之间深厚的情谊。
I took my Submariner off my wrist and put it on his.
我脱下了手腕上的潜航者型,戴在了他的手腕上。
It was my history embodied, now merged with his.
这只腕表蕴含着我的过往,如今与他融为一体。
In 2012, this watch on my wrist took a journey with me into the deep.
在2012年,这块腕表伴我开展深潜之旅。
My expedition was inspired by the great Jacques Piccard and Don Walsh, who in 1960 were the first to reach the deepest point of our oceans, the Challenger Deep, at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
雅克·皮卡德与当·沃尔什激励我踏上这条探索之路,他们于1960年下潜至马里亚纳海沟底部,成为抵达海洋最深处的先驱。
One of my goals was to return to enable deep-ocean science.
我的目标之一是回归海洋,探索深海科学。
Fifty-two years later, in March 2012, I did.
我在52年后,2012年3月实现了此目标。
And Rolex was there with me, just as it had been for Piccard and Walsh.
劳力士和我在一起,就如同当年与皮卡德和沃尔什一样。
This prototype was designed and built by their engineers, from scratch, in a mere eight weeks, to follow me to a depth of almost 36,000 feet and face the crushing pressure of 16,000 pounds per square inch.
这款实验性原型表由劳力士工程师设计并打造,从构思到完成仅花了八周时间。这只腕表陪伴我下潜至水深约36,000英尺,并承受着每平方英寸16,000磅的巨大压力。
This one was my trusted ally, on my wrist.
这是我值得信赖的伙伴,就在我的手腕上。
And Rolex also designed one to fit on my submersible's robotic arm.
劳力士还设计了一个适合我潜水器机械臂的时计。
Both the submersible's timepiece and my own had endured through it all, ticking away steadily.
机械臂上的时计和我手上的腕表一起经历了整趟旅程,它们依然运作如常。
Oh, I see the second hand going.
噢! 我看到秒针在运行。
Yeah, baby!
是的。
We are good.
一切顺利!
And when I surfaced, the story came full circle.
当我返回水面时,仿佛历史重演。
To pay homage to Piccard and Walsh, I'd taken this astonishing watch onboard my submersible:the Old Lady – the same prototype that these great pioneers had rigged on their bathyscaphe, the Trieste, in 1960.
为了向皮卡德与沃尔什致敬,我将这只惊人的原型腕表,我称之为老太君,一并带入我的潜水器内。这是1960年的伟大先驱,固定在深海潜艇”里雅斯特号“上的同一只腕表。
And Don Walsh was there to welcome me on my return.
当·沃尔什亲自迎接我。
And what I felt is hard to describe.
我的感觉难以形容。
It wasn't about the pride of standing with these great explorers, nor of a vision realized.
这并非因为和这些伟大的探险家站在一起而感到自豪,或是实现了理想。
That warmth, that sense of deep gratification and humility, came from the realization that, just as they had been the spark that inspired me then, somewhere out there are others I might inspire.
那份温暖、无比的满足和谦逊让我清楚了解到,他们曾是启发我的伟大先驱,而我也可能像他们一样在某些方面启发他人。
Like all Rolex watches, the Submariner and the Deepsea Challenge were engineered to reach a specific goal:to serve human endeavour.
潜航者型和深海挑战型一如劳力士其他表款,旨在实现唯一目标:伴随人类追求卓越。
Whatever the stakes, whatever the pressure.
无论风险有多大,迎难而上。
Now, we are faced with new challenges, new frontiers, new times.
现在,我们面临着新的挑战、新的领域、新的时代。
And there's a new watch, built to meet them.
应运而生的新款腕表。
Being somewhat of an engineer myself, I think it's a stunning feat.
我也算是一位工程师,我认为这块腕表可视为壮举。
The titanium case, the Ringlock system, the helium escape valve and a host of other state-of-the-art watchmaking breakthroughs make this watch the most pressure-resistant ever made.
钛金属表壳、Ringlock系统、排氦阀门以及一系列其他最先进与突破的制表技术,成为有史以来最耐压的腕表。
But even above the engineering wonder that it is, it's the symbolism it perpetuates that speaks volumes about the very nature of the human spirit.
不仅具有超卓的工程设计,更具有恒动不息的象征意义,彰显悠久传统,充分体现了人类精神的本质。
We are a curious bunch, with a drive to explore and understand, to imagine and to build, passionately, ingeniously.
我们充满求知欲、渴望探索和了解未知,并拥有想象力和创造力,满怀热情,匠心独具。
And this Deepsea Challenge proves that, as long as we have that drive, we will always find ingenious ways to go farther and deeper...together.
这款深海挑战型证明只要我们有此动力,我们总能运用巧思一起探索更远更深之境。
喜欢,要坚持做下去噢~