下载每日英语听力APP,解锁双语字幕及更多学习功能!
It's feeling a little bit chilly out.
感觉有点凉飕飕的。
It definitely is starting to feel like autumn.
现在开始有秋天的感觉了。
It's official, we are in autumn, but don't worry, I've got your back.
正式入秋了,但别担心,有我在。
Dust off your wellies and dig out your woollies because we are going to be learning ten essential English autumn idioms.
掸掉雨靴上的灰尘,把毛衣翻出来,因为我们要学习十个重要的秋日英语习语。
Number 10. Autumn Years
第十,晚年
"Autumn years" basically refers to the later stages in your life.
“晚年”基本上是指人生的后期。
So, when your teeth are falling out, you have a bad back and you're complaining all the time of everything hurting.
当你牙齿掉落,背部疼痛,一直抱怨全身疼痛。
So, when you're getting quite a bit older later in your life, you can say you are in your autumn years.
当你晚年渐渐老去的时候,你可以说你正处于晚年。
Number 9. Shaking Like a Leaf
第九,抖个不停
You would normally say that a person or an animal is shaking like a leaf.
你通常会说一个人或一个动物在颤抖,就像树叶一样。
And it's normally when you're shaking because you're cold.
通常是因为你冷而颤抖。
You say, "You look cold, you're shaking like a leaf."
你说:“你说你看起来很冷,像树叶一样颤抖。”
Number 8. That Old Chestnut
第八,老掉牙的话
"That old chestnut" basically refers to a story or something you've heard over and over again and you're now tired of hearing it.
“那句老掉牙的话”基本上指的是一个你听了一遍又一遍,现在听腻了的故事或事情。
So, if I've told you a story many times and you're bored of hearing it, and I start to speak, you might say, "Oh, Anna, not that old chestnut again!"
所以,如果我给你讲了一个故事很多次,你听厌了,我又开始说,你可能会说:“哦,安娜,别再讲那个老掉牙的故事了!”
7. To Drive Someone Nuts
七,把某人逼疯
If you drive someone nuts, it means you irritate or annoy them.
如果你把某人逼疯了,那就意味着你激怒或惹怒了他们。
It just drives me nuts when people are constantly clicking their pen.
当人们不停地按他们的笔时,我就发疯了。
It drives me nuts!
这把我逼疯了!
Six... what is that? Six?
六......这是什么?六?
Anna, you need to learn to count!
安娜,你需要学习怎样数数了!
6. Under the Weather
六,感到不适
To be under the weather is to be unwell.
感到不适就是身体不舒服。
But we only ever really use this when we're talking about a mild illness like a cough or a cold.
但我们只有在谈论像咳嗽或感冒这样的轻微疾病时才会真正用到这个词。
You'd say, "I'm feeling a little bit under the weather.
你说:“我感到有点不舒服。
I'm going to go and lie down."
我要躺下了。”
5. To Squirrel Away
五,囤积/储存
In the same way that a squirrel would take nuts, bury them, and store them until the winter months, we can say that somebody is squirreling away money or items and storing them for whatever it is.
就像松鼠会把坚果埋起来,储存到冬天一样,我们也可以说有人把钱或东西储存起来,不管为了什么。
The winter, maybe.
也许是为了过冬。
So, I could say, "Jane was squirreling away her money all summer until she could afford a winter break."
所以,我可以说,“简整个夏天都在攒钱,直到她放寒假够钱花。”
4. Save It For A Rainy Day
四,未雨绸缪
This basically means keep it until you need it.
这基本上意味着保留它直到你需要它。
So, if it's money, then we'd suggest don't spend it now, wait until you are in need of the money perhaps for an emergency.
所以,如果是钱,那么我们建议现在不要花,等到你需要钱的时候再花,也许是为了紧急情况。
For example, save it for a rainy day.
例如,留着以备不时之需。
3. Turn Over A New Leaf
三,翻开新的一页
To turn over a new leaf just means a new start, a fresh start.
翻开新的一页就意味着一个新的开始。
So for example, if I leave my job or I leave my relationship or a friendship breaks down, then you could say I'm going to turn over a new leaf and start again.
例如,如果我离职了,或者我离开了一段关系,或者一段友谊破裂了,那么你可以说,我要翻开新的一页,重新开始。
Start a new job, get a new boyfriend, and maybe make friends with a person I've fallen out with or just move on and get a new friend.
开始一份新工作,交一个新男朋友,也许可以和一个曾经和我闹翻的人交朋友,或者只是向前看,交一个新朋友。
Will you be my friend?
你会做我的朋友吗?
2. Take A Leaf Out Of Somebody Else's Book
二,借鉴别人的经验
This means follow the example of somebody else.
这意味着要效仿别人。
So, if you're not very good at getting up in the mornings, maybe you would look at someone who is good at getting up in the morning and find out what they do and how they inspire themselves to get up and get going.
所以,如果你不擅长早上起床,也许你可以看看那些擅长早上起床的人,看看他们都做了什么,他们是如何激励自己起床并开始行动的。
You will take a leaf out of their book.
你会借鉴他们的经验。
And finally, number 1, it's raining cats and dogs.
最后,第一,倾盆大雨。
During the autumn months, we tend to see a lot of rain here in the UK, and so we will quite often say huh it is raining cats and dogs today.
在秋天的几个月里,我们在英国经常会看到很多雨,所以我们经常会说,啊,今天下着倾盆大雨。
Raining cats and dogs just means it's raining very heavily.
下着倾盆大雨只意味着雨下得很大。
So, make sure you wear your raincoat or you take your umbrella out with you.
所以,一定要穿上雨衣或者带上雨伞。
So, there you go.
就到这里啦。
The 10 essential autumn idioms which you should definitely try to use over the next couple of weeks to make sure they lock into your long-term memory.
十个重要的习语,在接下来的几周,你一定要把它们都使用一遍,确保把它们牢牢地记在你的脑中。
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!