New York City, the bagel capital of the world.
纽约市——世界贝果之都。
The place where bagels reign supreme, and are a cut above the rest.
一个提到贝果就会想到的城市。
Right?
对吧?
Well, maybe not.
好吧,也许不是。
Because it turns out, there's something that could rock New York and its precious bagels to the core.
因为有一个城市,正以惊人的速度撼动纽约贝果之都的响亮称号。
Montreal has their own booming bagel industry, and there's a constituency of bagel enthusiasts that actually consider Montreal bagels better than New York's.
蒙特利尔拥有兴盛的贝果产业,而且有一群贝果爱好者认为,蒙特利尔贝果胜于纽约贝果。
Shocking, I know.
我知道,这着实令人意外。
I lived in New York for 50 years, but I don't care for the New York bagels, and neither does my family.
我在纽约生活了五十年,但我和家人对纽约贝果完全不感兴趣。
Do you prefer New York bagels or Montreal bagels?
你喜欢纽约的贝果还是蒙特利尔的?
- Montreal.
蒙特利尔的。
What is going on here?
为什么会有这样的情况?
It's time to investigate.
让我们来一探究竟。
My name is Robert Morena, and I'm the co-owner of St-Viateur Bagel Shop.
我是 Robert Morena,St-Viateur 贝果坊的合伙人。
People really know about us, and they know that if you come to Montreal, you've gotta try a Montreal bagel.
大家都知道,凡是来到蒙特利尔,我们家的贝果绝对名列必吃美食榜。
Every time I go to New York, I always visit a bagel bakery.
每次去纽约,我都会到那边的贝果坊。
And I test my bagels against theirs; and I've yet to come across something that compares to a St-Viateur bagel.
品尝别人家和我们家产品的差别,目前还没吃过与 St-Viateur不相上下的贝果。
Montreal bagel is set aside by its process of how it's made.
蒙特利尔贝果是经过一道道繁复程序产出的美味。
We hand-roll each bagel.
每一个贝果都是手工杆制成形。
We boil it in honey water.
用沸腾的蜂蜜水烫过。
We seed it.
裹上满满的芝麻或罂粟籽。
We bake it in a wood-fired oven.
最后进木炭炉烘烤。
Alright, so Montreal's got the sweet and doughy flavor.
这就是蒙特利尔贝果风味绝佳的原因。
What do you got to say about that, New York?
纽约贝果,你有什么话要说吗?
Montreal bagels? Eh.
蒙特利尔贝果?呃。
I think it's mostly a fad.
我想这只是一种潮流罢了。
Honey water?
蜂蜜水?
Who does that?
这又是哪招?
No, I'm kidding.
开个玩笑。
I'm just making that up.
刚刚的话都不是认真的。
Sorry.
抱歉。
My name is Darin Dolfi, and I'm the operations manager with H&H Midtown Bagels East.
我是 Darin Dolfi。H&H Midtown Bagels East 的运营经理。
If you want a regular bagel, you can go anywhere.
你可以在很多地方买到贝果。
If you want a true New York City staple, you come to H&H Midtown Bagels East.
但如果想要来一份纽约式贝果,H&H Midtown Bagels East 是你的不二选择。
Look, it's New York City.
瞧瞧,这是个忙碌的城市。
We're moving at a fast pace.
我们必须手脚利落。
We sell a lot of bagels.
才能供应庞大的需求。
Some bagels are made on a machine, others are hand-rolled, like our cinnamon raisin.
有些贝果仰赖机器制作,有些口味则是手工杆制,例如肉桂葡萄。
Big deal, still same great taste.
不过无论是机器或手工,尝起来一样美味。
It's a very labor-intensive process that takes roughly 24 hours from start to finish before we can bake off the bagels.
整个程序十分繁琐,从开始到结束大约需要一天的时间,贝果才能进烤箱烘烤。
So you each have your own process.
两种贝果的制作方式不尽相同。
Big deal.
那重点来了。
How do you eat them?
你会怎么吃?
So, generally, we do not cut our bagels.
我们通常不切自己家的贝果。
And they come out of a wood-fired oven, they don't need to be toasted.
而且从木炭炉新鲜出炉,所以不需要二次烘烤。
You come, you pick up the bagels, and they buy a tub of cream cheese, and you would make the bagels yourself.
你来,挑一个喜欢的贝果,买一盒奶油奶酪,这就是如何动手做好吃贝果的方法。
That's the real Montreal way of doing things.
蒙特利尔的经典吃法。
Got it.
好的。
So in Montreal, I have to make it myself.
所以在蒙特利尔,自己动手做是常态。
What about in New York?
那纽约的情况是?
When you walk in to H&H Midtown Bagels East, you walk to counter, place the order, we slice the bagel, we put cream cheese, we put the lox, we wrap it up, and it's ready to go.
你走进 H&H Midtown Bagels East,到柜台下订单、放上奶油奶酪、熏鲑鱼、打包,然后就大功告成了。
New York started manufacturing bagels before Montreal.
纽约生产贝果的时间点比蒙特利尔来得更早。
The big difference is that we just kept our bagel-making tradition the same.
只是两者差在我们没有改变制作贝果的方式。
Still horse and wagon.
仍然是最传统的那种。
So if you're more of a sweet and doughy, do-it-yourself bagel maker, Montreal's for you.
偏爱有嚼劲、带点甜味的面团,还有不介意自己动手做的人,蒙特利尔贝果是个好选择。
But if you prefer the toasted bagel with everything on it, you gotta come to New York.
但如果你喜欢烤过的贝果加上丰富馅料,纽约不会让你失望。
But in the end, if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that everything's better with cream cheese.
最后,虽然两者各有千秋,但我们都认同一点——奶油奶酪会使美味大大提升。
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!