The one thing we know about the future is we have no idea how we're going to be working in 20 years, 10 years, even 5 years.
关于未来我们只知道一点,那就是我们不知道20年、10年、甚至5年后我们的工作方式是什么。
Charleston East and Bay View represent the first time that we led the concept and construction of our own major campuses.
Charleston East和Bay View是我们第一次主导自己主要园区的概念和建设。
And it's an opportunity to rethink the very idea of what an office building is, and rethink what's possible for the industry.
这样一个机会让我们重新思考办公大楼的模样,重新思考这个行业的可能性。
With this shape, we've had people walking by and they're like, what is this?
看到这样的大楼,人们走过时会想,这是什么?
Like, they don't even know.
看,他们甚至都不知道这是什么。
It doesn't look like an office building, which is so fascinating, because then when you come in, you have no preconceptions of how to work that comes from historic ways of working.
它看起来不像办公大楼,但非常具有吸引力,因为当你走进来时,你想象不到传统之外的工作方式。
But instead, it's like a canvas of creating new ways of being together.
但相反,它就像一个帐篷,创造了一种新的相处方式。
With these projects, we really thought about people first, using things like healthy materials and air quality.
在这些项目中,我们真正考虑的是以人为本,使用健康材料和注重空气质量。
Everyone has natural light and has thermal, visual, and acoustic comfort.
每个人都能享受到自然光,体验温度、视觉和听觉的舒适性。
Down on the bottom level is really like the market.
最下面一层就像市场。
It's where we have our meeting rooms, cafes, where you can connect with your community and collaborate.
这里我们设置了会议室、咖啡厅,你可以和你的团队进行联系并合作。
And then up here, it's more quiet.
然后上面一层,比较安静。
You're really focused on that immediate team.
你可以完全集中注意力到团队工作中。
The premise around some of the team spaces is that there is physical collaboration, but there's enhanced virtual collaboration that is going to happen also.
实现一些团队空间的前提是有物理协作,但也会有增强的虚拟协作。
This new hybrid world, work is going to change, but this building can adapt and flex to meet that.
在这个具有混合风格的新建筑中,工作方式将会改变,但这座建筑可以进行调整并灵活满足需求。
There's a straight line from people-first design to sustainability.
以人为本的设计和可持续发展在一条直线上。
It's actually the largest project to ever pursue any element of the Living Building Challenge.
这个园区实际上是“生活建筑挑战”中迄今为止最大的项目。
And it seemed critical that this project isn't taking, but actually giving.
关键的一点是,这个项目不是索取,而是给予。
There was the chance to breathe life back into the natural landscape.
这里有机会让自然景观重新焕发生机。
Not letting things like the rainwater just run away straight away, but capturing that.
不会让雨水这样的物质直接流走,而是收集下来。
The way that it is tucked into the nature it's not just a scenic garden for the enjoyment of the neighbors and for the Googlers, but it is also a highly performing landscape.
该园区融入自然的方式,不仅仅是成为一个风景优美的花园,供邻居和谷歌员工享受,它还是一个高性能的景观。
This is the largest geothermal pile system in North America that allows us to eliminate natural gas for heating purposes, helping us to make the building all-electric.
这是北美最大的地热桩系统,它让我们不用天然气来取暖,帮助我们使建筑物全电力化。
And because we're saving a lot of water that would otherwise have gone in cooling, we're also getting water positive performance out of this campus.
因为我们收集了大量的水,而这些水本来是用来冷却的,所以我们也让这个园区实现了积极的用水表现。
There was a commitment at the highest level to making something that was regenerative design.
人们致力于制造最高水平的可再生设计产品。
We brought on a very unique set of partners, both in the design, as well as the build side, people who were okay with trying out things that sounded crazy.
我们带来了一批非常独特的合作伙伴,无论是在设计上,还是在构建方面,他们都愿意尝试听起来很疯狂的东西。
They were chosen for a particular reason, like innovation, they understood the challenge, they were willing to try different things.
选择他们有一个特殊的原因,比如创新,他们理解挑战,他们愿意尝试不同的事物。
The amount of ingenuity I've seen from the construction crews, I can't even tell you all the stories.
我从建筑工身上看到了太多的聪明才智,多到我说都说不完。
That's a new way of thinking.
那是一种新的思维方式。
It's not top-down.
不是自上而下的。
It's actually collaborative at all levels.
实际上是各个层面的协作。
Typically, you always do a full-scale mockup as the last step before you actually build the building.
通常情况下,在你实际建造建筑之前,你总是会做一个全尺寸的模型。
In this case, we were making full-scale mockups before we even had a design.
在这种情况下,我们甚至在设计之前就开始制作全尺寸模型。
To really solve for these big, hairy problems, we need to bring a diverse group of folks together, from public agencies, sustainability experts, environmental experts, who were willing to think differently with us to make this happen.
要真正解决这些棘手的大问题,我们需要把公共机构、可持续发展专家、环境专家等不同群体聚集在一起,他们愿意和我们用不同的方式思考,以实现这一目标。
So there were things which were really at the limits of what construction would ever let you do.
所以这里有些设计已经达到了建筑的极限。
But the biggest one that we did make happen was breaking down the separation between building and power generation.
但我们最大的成就是打破了建筑和发电之间的隔阂。
And suddenly it was the photovoltaic panel itself was no longer some technical installation that you hide on the roof.
突然间,光伏板本身不再是藏在屋顶上的技术装置。
It became this kind of beautiful material of the building.
它成了美丽的建筑材料。
Every single photon is turned to good use, either for the perfect levels of daylight inside the building, and all the excess photons are converted into power.
每一个光伏板都得到了很好的利用,无论是达到建筑物内的完美日光水平,还是将所有多余的光线都转换为功率。
How do we make buildings that will be vibrant decades from now?
我们该如何出建造几十年后都充满活力的建筑?
Could we think about the design of something that connects with people's feelings?
我们能不能考虑设计出与人们的感受相连的东西?
Emotion is a function.
情绪是一种功能。
It's not some kind of finished tombstone.
建筑不是什么完工的墓碑。
It's a living, working laboratory.
建筑是一个在运转的“活的”实验室。
Buildings that last do so not because they're perfect, but because people care about them enough to continue to change them.
建筑之所以能长久存在,并不是因为它们完美,而是因为人们足够在乎它们,并不断地改造它们。
So that's the whole story of the building, basically.
这就是这栋建筑的全部内容。
Should I erase it?
要我擦掉它吗?
Leave it?
不用?
Okay.
好的。
workplace for the future