You know the feeling. You finish a full meal and are like...
你懂那种感觉。吃完一整盘食物后,觉得...
I'm never eating again.
我饱到炸裂了。
But then, out comes a beautiful piece of cake. And, well...
但眼前出现一块精致的蛋糕。然后...
You said you were full!
你不是说你饱了!
Not for dessert.
甜点不算啊。
Turns out you really can "make room" for dessert.
结果,人真的可以为了甜点“留胃”。
And there's a scientific reason why.
而且这是有科学根据的。
The thing that gives you room for dessert is called "sensory-specific satiety". Sa...satie...satiety?
你之所以还吃得下甜点,是因为有“特定感觉饱足感”。饱...饱...饱足感?
Satiety. It's one of those words...
饱足感。就是这样念...
That's Dr. Barbara Rolls. She's a nutritional scientist, and she's been studying sensory-specific satiety since the '80s.
这位是 Barbara Rolls 博士。她是营养学专家,从 1980 年代开始研究特定感觉饱足感。
It's a really important, basic, and very reproducible finding about human eating behavior.
这种人类的进食习性很重要且基本,实验结果也可以反复验证了这个观点。
Dr. Rolls says it's why we often misunderstand that "full" feeling.
Rolls 博士说这就是为什么我们常会有"饱了"的错觉。
So, to see it in action, we ran an experiment similar to one she's done before.
为了亲眼证实,我们模仿了博士之前做过的实验。
We gave six people a giant plate of mac and cheese.
我们找来六个人,一人给一大盘芝士通心粉。
Wow, that is a lot of macaroni and cheese!
哇,好多芝士通心粉!
And told them to eat until they were full.
然后叫他们吃到饱为止。
I'm done.
我饱了。
And then, for the second course, we gave them...more.
接着第二道菜,我们端出...更多的通心粉。
No!
不!
I'm not happy with this experiment.
我不喜欢这个实验。
Then, on a different day, we did it all over again.
然后过几天,再从头做一遍。
I'm getting full.
我快不行了。
Except, this time, after they were full, we gave them ice cream.
但这一次,他们吃饱后,我们给的是冰淇淋。
Ice cream.
冰淇淋。
Yes.
好耶。
Oh, yeah, I'm done.
好了,我吃不下了。
On average, after they said they were full on mac and cheese, each person could eat just one more ounce of it in their second serving.
平均来说,他们表示吃饱之后,每个人只能再吃下一盎司的通心粉。
I got a solid two bites in.
我吃了整整两大口。
But when we gave them ice cream instead, somehow they could eat three times as much.
但如果换成冰淇淋,他们可以吃整整三倍的量。
They made room for dessert.
他们真的有留胃给甜点。
The experiment shows that when you feel full, it's not necessarily that your stomach is physically full; it's more about how interested you are in eating more.
实验显示当饱足感出现时,并不一定表示肚子真的没空间了;比较像是没有想吃更多的欲望。
Sensory-specific satiety is that change in how much you like a food, how much of a food you want to eat as you're eating it.
特定感觉饱足感是在描述你对食物喜好的改变、进食过程中对分量接受度的改变。
And to really show that, we asked our participants to rate, on a scale of 10, their interest in mac and cheese before their first course...
为了量化结果,我们请受试者在吃通心粉之前,用一到十分表示自己想吃的程度...
Probably, like, a six.
或许六分吧。
Five.
五分。
I love macaroni and cheese, so... About 25!
我超爱起司通心粉,所以...25 分!
...and after.
...接着是吃完后。
I can't eat anymore.
我再也吃不下了。
Probably, like, a one.
可能一分。
Yeah, zero.
耶,零分。
They all started pretty interested in the mac and cheese.
每个人刚开始都很想吃通心粉。
But after their first course, they were less interested.
但吃完一份后,就比较没兴趣了。
Even less so after their second helping.
吃完第二份后更是兴趣缺缺。
But we also asked them throughout the experiment to rate their interest in ice cream.
但我们在实验途中也有问他们对冰淇淋的渴望程度。
And even after getting full on mac and cheese, they stayed interested.
即使再也吃不下通心粉了,他们还是想吃冰淇淋。
The only thing that made them lose interest in ice cream was having ice cream.
等到真的吃下了冰淇淋后,兴趣才会下降。
"I've just had enough of that food; I want something else".
“我吃腻那样食物了;我想换个口味。”
It's really what sensory-specific satiety is.
这就是所谓的特定感觉饱足感。
And that instinct has a purpose: It's meant to keep us healthy.
这种本能是有目的的:为了让我们保持健康。
So, it's a good thing. We're omnivores, and we need to eat a variety.
这是好事。我们是杂食性动物,需要多样化的饮食。
So, it's gonna help to guarantee that you're going to eat the variety of nutrients that you need.
它会确保你摄取所需的各种营养。
It also means that there are certain situations where it makes us extra susceptible to overeating.
这也表示某些情况下它会容易让我们吃太多。
It can backfire though, of course.
当然,它也会造成反效果。
Because if we are presented with a variety of food, it encourages us to keep eating.
因为要是我们眼前有很多种食物,它会鼓励我们一直吃。
Ever eat too much at a buffet?
曾经在吃到饱餐厅吃太饱?
Or on Thanksgiving? Yeah, me too.
或是感恩节时?我也有过。
That's because when we have a lot of variety, we stay interested in eating for longer.
那是因为食物选择很多时,我们可以吃得比较久。
This change in the appeal of foods during a meal keeps us going, keeps us eating.
不同食物所造成的新鲜感让我们一直吃,吃不停。
In another experiment, Dr. Rolls gave different four-course meals to two groups.
在另一个实验中,Rolls 博士给了两组人马不同的四品套餐。
One where every course was the same food, and one where every course is very different.
一组吃四道完全一样的菜,另一组则有四道不同的菜可以吃。
The people with different foods ate 60 percent more.
吃不同食物的那组多吃了百分之六十。
Sensory-specific satiety is why you'll eat more french fries with condiments than without, why you'll eat more ice cream if you get multiple flavors than just one.
特定感觉饱足感解释了为什么薯条加酱就可以吃更多,以及冰淇淋口味越多就可以吃越多。
It's also why kids will eat more veggies if they can eat a variety of them together than if they only have one option.
也解释了为什么一次给小孩多种蔬菜,比只给一种还吃得多。
That's interesting! And it only took me eating a ridiculous amount of mac and cheese to learn it.
太有趣了!而且我才吃这么一大堆起司通心粉就懂了呢。
还没有评论,快来发表第一个评论!