Time is important, but we end up wasting most of it.
时间虽重要,但到头来,大部分都被我们给浪费掉了。
Take a look at how you have spent your day today, for example,
打个比方,回顾一下一天都干了些什么,
you probably didn't accomplish much.
你就会发现,其实一天没干什么。
In fact, an average adult spends 5 hours every single day on social media,
实际上,一个成年人平均每天在社交软件上花掉5小时,
which adds up to 15 years over of a lifetime.
这么算一下,这一辈子花在社交软件上的时间总共就是15年。
But there is actually a different reason why you end up wasting your time.
其实浪费时间还另有原因。
I remember when I was in college.
我记得上大学的时候。
At the beginning of the semester,
新学期伊始,
I would imagine myself writing a great assignment,
我希望自己的作业十分出色,
because I have over a month to work on it.
因为我有一个月的时间来完成它。
Every single night, I would research a little bit, and write a little bit.
每天晚上,我可以研究一点,写上一点。
So over a month, I would write a perfect assignment.
这样一个月后,我觉得我可以写出非常好的作业。
But what would end up happening is that,
可到最后,
I would start working on that assignment only a day or two before the deadline.
就在交作业的前一两天我才开始。
You probably had the exact same experience.
你或许也感同身受。
It's not a surprise because that's the nature of any human being.
这一点都不奇怪,这就是人类的本性。
According to Parkinson, "work expands, so as to fill the time available for its completion. "
英国学者帕金森曾经说过:"工作会增加,直到所有可用时间都被填满为止。"
For instance, I have to edit this video.
例如,我得编辑这段视频。
I will not finish the task before the deadline,
不到最后期限我是不会做好的,
one way or another I will find a way to prolong it.
不管怎样,我都会拖拖拉拉延长工作时间。
Let's say you have to write a short essay.
比如,你要写一篇短文。
It will probably take an hour or a maximum 2 hours.
这大约需要花费你1小时,最多2小时的时间。
But you decide to dedicate your entire day to finish it.
但是你决定要花一整天来完成它。
When your brain realizes that you have more time to finish the job than you need,
当你的大脑认为你有更多的时间完成这项本不需要这么多时间的工作,
your brain will complicate the task to fill all the empty time.
你的大脑就会把这件事想的更为复杂,这样多余的时间就会被占用起来。
Here is how.
这就是机理。
When you just start writing,
当你刚开始写的时候,
you suddenly remember that you forgot to call your doctor.
你突然想起来你忘记给自己的医生打电话了。
So you will call him first and then get back to work.
然后,你就会去给他打个电话,然后再回来继续写。
It is only going to take a few minutes.
虽说这仅仅是几分钟的事。
You will start working much slower.
但你的工作慢了许多。
You will get distracted after writing each sentence.
每写一句话,都会想点别的。
You will want another cup of coffee, maybe, or check your Instagram.
你可能会想要喝杯咖啡,或者看看INS有没有消息。
After every distraction, you need some time to get back your mind to the task.
每一次的分心,都需要花些时间,把思绪再次拉回到工作上。
But at the end of the day, the goal is to stretch the task for all the available time.
这一天下来,这项任务就把一整天的时间给占据了。
You end up spending an entire day accomplishing a task that only requires 2 hours.
你用了一天的时间只完成了本需要2小时就可以搞定的工作。
That's why if you want to stop wasting your time,
所以当你不想浪费时间,
you always have to set the minimum amount of time for any task.
就得把所有的工作设定上最高效的完成时间。
In fact, it's dangerous when you give it more time than it requires.
其实,当你把完成时间设定的更加宽松,就会出问题。
Because in the process, you feel like you are busy,
因为在工作期间你会认为自己很忙碌,
you are working, you are writing that assignment, you are editing that video,
你在工作,写作业,制作视频,
so you can't work on anything else.
因此你不能去干别的事情。
You can't even rest properly because you are working.
你甚至不能得到合理休息时间,因为你在工作。
But in truth, you aren't accomplishing anything.
但是实际上,你什么都没完成。
Here is what you should do.
这才是你应该做的。
Write down how much time you need to accomplish a certain task,
把一项具体工作的所需要的时间写下来,
then cut it in half and work only under that period of time.
然后把时间缩短一半,尽力去完成工作。
If you need 2 hours to finish that, give yourself only an hour.
如果你需要2小时来完成这项工作,那就给自己1小时。
Don't worry about the quality,
不要担心工作质量,
your job is to finish the task before the deadline.
你的任务是在最后期限前完成工作。
You will be amazed by how creative you suddenly become,
你会对自己瞬间充满创造力而惊讶不已,
ideas will flow into your mind from everywhere around.
思如泉涌,势不可挡。
You will think of new creative ways to get it done.
新的思路就此激发出来。
I am not talking about some kind of hypothetical, unrealistic, extraordinary abilities.
我这可不是在畅想一些不实际的超能力。
They're just something that happens to all of us when we are under such circumstances.
在这种状态下,人人如此。
That's why you finish your assignment right before the submission.
这就是为什么你总是能在最后期限交作业。
Because if you do not submit it the next morning, you are going to fail.
因为你第二天早上不交作业,那就不及格了。
Don't stretch the time hoping that you will do a better job,
千万不要为了把工作做得更好而延长时间,
you will simply reduce your productivity and waste your time.
这样只会让你降低效率,浪费时间。
海量英语听力资源,高亮双语字幕,尽在每日英语听力~