Plato 柏拉图

Plato 柏拉图

00:00
01:58

学习更多精品课程,请关注:

微信公众号:Jerry的英语课堂



One day, Plato asked his teacher,“What is love? How can I find it?”

柏拉图有一天问老师苏格拉底:“什么是爱情?我如何找到它? ”

 

His teacher answered,“There is a vast wheat field in front.

老师回答说:“前面有一片广袤的麦田。

 

Walk forward without turning back, and pick only one stalk.

你一直往前走,不要回头,摘一棵麦穗。

 

If you find the most magnificent stalk, then you have found love.”

如果你摘到最大最好的麦穗,你就找到爱情了。”

 

Plato thought it was easy, so he walked forward confidently.

柏拉图觉得很容易,充满信心地出去。

 

But it was a long time before he returned with empty hands, having picked nothing.

可是过了许久他才回来,空着手,什么都没拣回来。

 

His teacher asked,“Why did you not pick any stalk?”

老师问:“你为什么一棵麦穗都没有拾回?”

 

Plato answered,“Because I could only pick once, and yet I could not turn back.

柏拉图解释道:“因为我只能拣一棵麦穗,而且我不能回头。

 

I did find the most magnificent stalk, but did not know if there were any better ones ahead, so I did not pick it.

我确实发现一棵看似很不错的麦穗,可不知道前面有没有更好的,所以就没拣它。

 

As I walked further, the stalks that I saw were not as good as the earlier one, so I did not pick any in the end.”

当我继续往前走时,我所看到的麦穗还不如先前的那棵好,所以最后什么都没拣到。”

 

His teacher then said,“And that is love.”

这时,苏格拉底告诉他:“那就是爱情”。

 

On another day, Plato asked his teacher,“What is marriage? And how can I find it?”

柏拉图有一天又问老师苏格拉底:“什么是婚姻?我如何才能找到它呢? ”

 

His teacher answered,“There is a thriving forest in front.

老师回答说:“前面有一片茂密的树林。

 

Walk forward without turning back, and chop down only one tree. If you find the tallest tree, then you have found marriage.”

一直向前走,不要回头,然后砍一棵树回来。如果你找到最高的树,那么你就找到了婚姻。”

 

Learning from the last failure, Plato walked forward in confidence this time, and before long, he returned exhausted with a straight, green tree.

柏拉图有了上回的教训,这次充满信心地出去。不久,他一身疲惫地拖了一棵看起来直挺、翠绿,

 

The tree was not thriving, and it was not tall either.

却有点稀疏也并不高大的树。这只是一棵普通的树。

 

It was an ordinary tree. His teacher asked,“Why did you chop down such an ordinary tree?”

老师问他:“你为什么砍了这么一棵普通的树? ”

 

Plato answered,“Because of my previous experience, I walked halfway through the field, but returned with empty hands.

柏拉图回答老师:“上一次,我走了半个麦田,却空手而归。

 

This time, I saw this tree, and I felt that it was not bad, so I chopped it down and brought it back. I did not want to miss the opportunity.”

这次,我看到了这棵树,觉得它还不错,就砍下带了回来,我不想错过这个机会。”

 

His teacher then said,“And that is marriage.”

这时,苏格拉底告诉他:“这就是婚姻”。

以上内容来自专辑
用户评论
  • 1331147ijyi

    发音清晰准确,词汇丰富,含义深刻,有收获:提升了英语,懂得了道理

    Jerry的英语课堂 回复 @1331147ijyi: 评论精湛 所言属实 最佳留言

  • 174511385

    婚姻就是将就,爱情等于没有