When the boy came back the old man was asleep in the chair and the sun was down. The boy took the old army blanket off the bed and spread it over the back of the chair and over the old man’s shoulders. They were strange shoulders, still powerful although very old, and the neck was still strong too and the creases did not show so much when the old man was asleep and his head fallen forward. His shirt had been patched so many times that it was like the sail and the patches were faded to many different shades by the sun. The old man’s head was very old though and with his eyes closed there was no life in his face. The newspaper lay across his knees and the weight of his arm held it there in the evening breeze. He was barefooted.
等孩子回来的时候,老人在椅子上熟睡着,太阳已经下去了。孩子从床上捡起一条旧军毯,铺在椅背上,盖住了老人的双肩。这两个肩膀挺怪,人非常老迈了,肩膀却依然很强健,脖子也依然很壮实,而且当老人睡着了,脑袋向前耷拉着的时候,皱纹也不大明显了。他的衬衫上不知打了多少次补丁,弄得象他那张帆一样,这些补丁被阳光晒得褪成了许多深浅不同的颜色。老人的头非常苍老,眼睛闭上了,脸上就一点生气也没有。报纸摊在他膝盖上,在晚风中,靠他一条胳臂压着才没被吹走。他光着脚。
The boy left him there and when he came back the old man was still asleep.
孩子撇下老人走了,等他回来时,老人还是熟睡着。
“Wake up old man,“ the boy said and put his hand on one of the old man’s knees.
“醒来吧,老大爷,”孩子说,一手搭上老人的膝盖。
The old man opened his eyes and for a moment he was coming back from a long way away. Then he smiled.
老人张开眼睛,他的神志一时仿佛正在从老远的地方回来。随后他微笑了。
“What have you got?“ he asked.
“你拿来了什么?”他问。
“Supper,“ said the boy. “We’re going to have supper.“
“晚饭,”孩子说。“我们就来吃吧。”
“I’m not very hungry.“
“我肚子不大饿。”
“Come on and eat. You can’t fish and not eat.“
“得了,吃吧。你不能只打鱼,不吃饭。”
“I have,“ the old man said getting up and taking the newspaper and folding it.
“我这样干过,”老人说着,站起身来,拿起报纸,把它折好。
Then he started to fold the blanket.
跟着他动手折叠毯子。
“Keep the blanket around you,“ the boy said. “You’ll not fish without eating while I’m alive.“
“把毯子披在身上吧,”孩子说。“只要我活着,你就决不会不吃饭就去打鱼。”
“Then live a long time and take care of yourself,“ the old man said. “What are we eating?“
“这么说,祝你长寿,多保重自己吧,”老人说。“我们吃什么?”
“Black beans and rice, fried bananas, and some stew.“
“黑豆饭、油炸香蕉,还有些纯菜。”
The boy had brought them in a two-decker metal container from the Terrace. The two sets of knives and forks and spoons were in his pocket with a paper napkin wrapped around each set.
孩子是把这些饭菜放在双层饭匣里从露台饭店拿来的。他口袋里有两副刀叉和汤匙,每一副都用纸餐巾包着。
“Who gave this to you?“
“这是谁给你的。”
“Martin. The owner.“
“马丁。那老板。”
“I must thank him.“
“我得去谢谢他。”
“I thanked him already,“ the boy said. “You don’t need to thank him.“
“我已经谢过啦,”孩子说。“你用不着去谢他了。”
“I’ll give him the belly meat of a big fish,“ the old man said. “Has he done this for us more than once?“
“我要给他一块大鱼肚子上的肉,”老人说。“他这样帮助我们不止一次了?”
“I think so.“
“我想是这样吧。”
“I must give him something more than the belly meat then. He is very thoughtful for us.“
“这样的话,我该在鱼肚子肉以外,再送他一些东西。他对我们真关心。”
“He sent two beers.“
“他还送了两瓶啤酒。”
“I like the beer in cans best.“
“我喜欢罐装的啤酒。”
“I know. But this is in bottles, Hatuey beer, and I take back the bottles.“
“我知道。不过这是瓶装的,阿图埃牌啤酒,我还得把瓶子送回去。”
“That’s very kind of you,“ the old man said. “Should we eat?“
“你真周到,”老人说。“我们就吃好吗?”
“I’ve been asking you to,“ the boy told him gently. “I have not wished to open the container until you were ready.“
“我已经问过你啦,”孩子温和地对他说。“不等你准备好,我是不愿打开饭匣子的。”
“I’m ready now,“ the old man said. “I only needed time to wash.“
“我准备好啦,”老人说。“我只消洗洗手脸就行。”
Where did you wash? the boy thought. The village water supply was two streets down the road. I must have water here for him, the boy thought, and soap and a good towel. Why am I so thoughtless? I must get him another shirt and a jacket for the winter and some sort of shoes and another blanket.
你上哪儿去洗呢?孩子想。村里的水龙头在大路上第二条横路的转角上。我该把水带到这儿让他用的,孩子想,还带块肥皂和一条干净毛巾来。我为什么这样粗心大意?我该再弄件衬衫和一件茄克衫来让他过冬,还要一双什么鞋子,并且再给他弄条毯子来。
“Your stew is excellent,“ the old man said.
“这炖菜呱呱叫,”老人说。
“Tell me about the baseball,“ the boy asked him.
“给我讲讲棒球赛吧,”孩子请求他说。
“In the American League it is the Yankees as I said,“ the old man said happily.
“在美国联赛中,总是扬基队的天下,我跟你说过啦,”老人兴高采烈地说。
“They lost today,“ the boy told him.
“他们今儿个输了,”孩子告诉他。
“That means nothing. The great DiMaggio is himself again.“
“这算不上什么,那了不起的迪马吉奥恢复他的本色了。”
“They have other men on the team.“
“他们队里还有别的好手哪。”
“Naturally. But he makes the difference. In the other league, between Brooklyn and Philadelphia I must take Brooklyn. But then I think of Dick Sisler and those great drives in the old park.“
“这还用说。不过有了他就不同了。在另一个联赛中,拿布鲁克林队和费拉德尔菲亚队来说,我相信布鲁克林队。不过话得说回来,我没有忘记迪克·西斯勒和他在那老公园里打出的那些好球。”
“There was nothing ever like them. He hits the longest ball I have ever seen.“
“这些好球从来没有别人打过。我见过的击球中,数他打得最远。”
“Do you remember when he used to come to the Terrace? I wanted to take him fishing but I was too timid to ask him. Then I asked you to ask him and you were too timid.“
“你还记得他过去常来露台饭店吗?我想陪他出海钓鱼,可是不敢对他开口。所以我要你去说,可你也不敢。”
“I know. It was a great mistake. He might have gone with us. Then we would have that for all of our lives.“
“我记得。我们真大大地失算了。他满可能跟我们一起出海的。这样,我们可以一辈子回味这回事了。”
“I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing,“ the old man said. “They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.“
“我满想陪那了不起的迪马吉奥去钓鱼,”老人说。“人家说他父亲也是个打鱼的。也许他当初也象我们这样穷,会领会我们的心意的。”
“The great Sisler’s father was never poor and he, the father, was playing in the Big Leagues when he was my age.“
“那了不起的西斯勒的爸爸可没过过穷日子,他爸爸象我这样年纪的时候就在联赛里打球了。”
“When I was your age I was before the mast on a square rigged ship that ran to Africa and I have seen lions on the beaches in the evening.“
“我象你这样年纪的时候,就在一条去非洲的方帆船上当普通水手了,我还见过狮子在傍晚到海滩上来。”
“I know. You told me.“
“我知道。你跟我谈起过。”
“Should we talk about Africa or about baseball?“
“我们来谈非洲还是谈棒球?”
“Baseball I think,“ the boy said. “Tell me about the great John J. McGraw.“ He said Jota for J.
“我看谈棒球吧,”孩子说。“给我谈谈那了不起的约翰·J·麦格劳的情况。”他把这个J念成了“何塔”。
“He used to come to the Terrace sometimes too in the older days. But he was rough and harsh-spoken and difficult when he was drinking. His mind was on horses as well as baseball. At least he carried lists of horses at all times in his pocket and frequently spoke the names of horses on the telephone.“
“在过去的日子里,他有时候也常到露台饭店来。可是他一喝了酒,就态度粗暴,出口伤人,性子别扭。他脑子里想着棒球,也想着赛马。至少他老是口袋里揣着赛马的名单,常常在电话里提到一些马儿的名字。”
“He was a great manager,“ the boy said. “My father thinks he was the greatest.“
“他是个伟大的经理,”孩子说。“我爸爸认为他是顶伟大的。”
“Because he came here the most times,“ the old man said. “If Durocher had continued to come here each year your father would think him the greatest manager.“
“这是因为他来这儿的次数最多,”老人说。“要是多罗彻继续每年来这儿,你爸爸就会认为他是顶伟大的经理了。”
“Who is the greatest manager, really, Luque or Mike Gonzalez?“
“说真的,谁是顶伟大的经理,卢克还是迈克·冈萨雷斯?”
“I think they are equal.“
“我认为他们不相上下。”
“And the best fisherman is you.“
“顶好的渔夫是你。”
“No. I know others better.“
“不。我知道有不少比我强的。”
“Que va,“ the boy said. “There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only you.“
“哪里!”孩子说。“好渔夫很多,还有些很了不起的。不过顶呱呱的只有你。”
“Thank you. You make me happy. I hope no fish will come along so great that he will prove us wrong.“
“谢谢你。你说得叫我高兴。我希望不要来一条挺大的鱼,叫我对付不了,那样就说明我们讲错啦。”
“There is no such fish if you are as strong as you say.“
“这种鱼是没有的,只要你还是象你说的那样强壮。”
“I may not be as strong as I think,“ the old man said. “But I know many tricks and I have resolution.“
“我也许不象我自以为的那样强壮了,”老人说。“可是我懂得不少窍门,而且有决心。”
“You ought to go to bed now so that you will be fresh in the morning. I will take the things back to the Terrace.“
“你该就去睡觉,这样明儿早上才精神饱满。我要把这些东西送回露台饭店。”
“Good night then. I will wake you in the morning.“
“那么祝你晚安。早上我去叫醒你。”
“You’re my alarm clock,“ the boy said.
“你是我的闹钟,”孩子说。
“Age is my alarm clock,“ the old man said. “Why do old men wake so early? Is it to have one longer day?“
“年纪是我的闹钟,”老人说。“为什么老头儿醒得特别早?难道是要让白天长些吗?”
“I don’t know,“ the boy said. “All I know is that young boys sleep late and hard.“
“我说不上来,”孩子说。“我只知道少年睡得沉,起得晚。”
“I can remember it,“ the old man said. “I’ll waken you in time.“
“我记在心上,”老人说。“到时候会去叫醒你的。”
“I do not like for him to waken me. It is as though I were inferior.“
“我不愿让船主人来叫醒我。这样似乎我比他差劲了。”
“I know.“
“我懂。”
“Sleep well old man.“
“安睡吧,老大爷。”
孩子四年级,父母都不会英语,现在每天让孩子跟读几遍,然后朗读打卡两分钟
Bolazynes 回复 @xiaodenden: 挺好的,多多培养语感,基础会好很多
很棒的听力资料
Bolazynes 回复 @皇家仰光: hhh感谢认可~欢迎常来哦
读者是中国人吗
Bolazynes 回复 @辛普森巴特China: 是的哦
Gentle voice
Bolazynes 回复 @漫天红叶飞舞: 感谢关注,欢迎常来~
针不戳
Bolazynes 回复 @听友291460213: 感谢关注,欢迎常来~
很好
Bolazynes 回复 @李利霞_76: 感谢关注,欢迎常来~
的
Bolazynes 回复 @听友283417252: 感谢认可,欢迎常来~
good👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Bolazynes 回复 @点击这里哦: 感谢支持,欢迎常来~
Bolazynes 回复 @月饼_c9: 感谢认可,欢迎常来~
有配英文字幕吗?
Bolazynes 回复 @小小言宝: 在描述中可以看到的